<p>Senior Lloydricia Cameron ran away with the shot put title at the Bayou Bengal Invitational, winning by over 2 meters. </p>

Senior Lloydricia Cameron ran away with the shot put title at the Bayou Bengal Invitational, winning by over 2 meters. 

AJ McFarland planted his feet firmly onto the floor of the Carl Maddox Field House in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, spun around multiple times and threw his way to a second consecutive record-breaking performance in the men’s weight throw.  

That moment was just a microcosm of what this season has been like for the Gators’ No. 1 men’s and No. 5 women’s track and field teams.

Friday’s showing at the Bayou Bengal Invitational extended the narrative.

McFarland broke the school record he previously set two weeks ago on his first throw of 21.76 meters, which was the first of a six-throw series. The redshirt junior’s final throw of the night (21.89) surpassed his previous record set at the Clemson Invitational by 15 centimeters.

McFarland said after the meet that it felt good to know that he got better, but he’s still looking to surmount the next milestone.

“We’re inching closer and closer to that 22-meter line,” McFarland said. “Hopefully within the next couple of weeks or maybe the SEC Championships, I’ll find that rhythm and we’ll go ahead and knock it out of the park.”

McFarland finished in third place and is now tied for seventh in the nation in the men’s weight throw.

Senior and fourth-ranked shot put thrower Lloydricia Cameron won by over 2 meters in a competition in which she didn’t even reach her season-best mark.

Sophomore Amara Wiggan posted a personal-best mark of 18.09 meters in the women’s weight throw and finished fourth overall. She topped her personal record by 11 centimeters.

Florida will continue its indoor season next weekend at the Tiger Paw Invitational in Clemson, South Carolina, and at the Iowa State Classic in Ames, Iowa.

Follow Alanis Thames on Twitter @alanisthames and contact her at athames@alligator.org.