Struggling offense, shaky pitching shows in Florida's consecutive SEC series losses

<p>Senior Kelly Barnhill pitched a complete-game shutout in the Gators 5-0 win against UCF on Wednesday.</p>

Senior Kelly Barnhill pitched a complete-game shutout in the Gators 5-0 win against UCF on Wednesday.

The No. 6 Florida softball team (24-6) suffered its second-consecutive series loss to open SEC play after a 3-2 walk-off loss against No. 8 LSU (24-6) on Monday. Here are how the Gators have lost back-to-back series for the first time since 2011:

Offense sputters against Tigers

It’s no secret that Florida has had problems scoring runs. The Gators have scored a measly 15 runs in six SEC games this season, and they’ve been shut out twice. Their latest slump has seen their runs per game drop to just 5.07, which is 81st in the country.

One of the biggest issues for Florida is the batting lineup after outfielder Amanda Lorenz and catcher Kendyl Lindaman. Its offense has depended heavily on both players, and the Gators have had a difficult time creating production beyond them.

Catcher and designated player Jordan Roberts has three hits in her last 17 at-bats. Second baseman Hannah Adams and shortstop Sophia Reynoso both have only three hits in their last 18 at-bats. Outfielder Danielle Romanello has two hits in her last 21 at-bats, and the list goes on.

As great as Lorenz and Lindaman are, the Gators’ offense isn’t going to do much until the team around them improves.

Florida’s other big problem is its inability to hit with runners in scoring position. UF has batted 5 for 31 (.161) with runners in scoring position in SEC play, and it has stranded 36 total runners in the process.

The problem hasn’t been a lack of contact, either. Florida struck out only 10 times in three games against LSU.

However, there are signs that the offense can turn things around.

The Gators are ranked 15th in the country in on-base percentage (.415) despite hitting only .291 as a team. This is largely because they’re drawing 4.1 walks per game, so even when they can’t get hits, they are still getting on base.

Odds are, the Gators won’t continue to hit as poorly with runners in scoring position. But they’ll need to figure it out quickly because in a tight SEC, the difference between winning and losing is often who can hit in crucial situations.

Pitching inconsistent against elite offense

Florida struggled at the plate once again against LSU, but its pitching mostly did a good job of keeping the team competitive.

Pitching on the road against an offense ranked No. 10 in runs per game is no easy task, and Kelly Barnhill kept the Gators competitive in both of her starts despite the lack of run support. She held the Tigers hitless in the first four innings on Saturday, struck out 14 batters combined in her two starts and only allowed five earned runs in 13.1 innings of work.

But the disaster was on Sunday, when the Gators used their other four pitchers in an 8-0  run-rule loss.

Starter Natalie Lugo was yanked after allowing two runs in two innings, and freshman Elizabeth Hightower and junior Katie Chronister didn’t fare any better, combining for six earned runs in three innings. Chronister didn’t record an out against five hitters.

That’s been the story for Florida’s pitching so far against elite offenses: really good or really terrible.

The Gators have played nine games against offenses in the top 10 in runs per game and are 3-6 in such contests. They have given up three or fewer runs in five of those games but have also given up 28 runs and have been run-ruled twice in the other four.

Florida can’t afford to throw away games in a competitive SEC. Especially not after starting 2-4.

Follow Brendan Farrell on Twitter @Bfarrell727 and contact him at bfarrell@alligator.org.

Pitcher Kelly Barnhill held the Tigers hitless in the first four innings on Saturday, struck out 14 batters combined in her two starts and only allowed five earned runs in 13.1 innings of work.