Three Gators picked on day three of NFL Draft, two sign as undrafted free agents

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-030477c4-7fff-4f23-527e-a72f9cb795a9"><span id="docs-internal-guid-030477c4-7fff-4f23-527e-a72f9cb795a9">Chauncey Gardner-Johnson was selected in the fourth round of the NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints. </span></span></p>

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson was selected in the fourth round of the NFL Draft by the New Orleans Saints. 

Three Gators had their name called on day three of the 2019 NFL Draft.

It started with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. In round four, with pick No. 105, the New Orleans Saints selected the Florida safety that some analysts like Bucky Brooks had mocked to go on day two. In round five, linebacker Vosean Joseph was picked at No. 147 to the Buffalo Bills. Seven picks later at No. 154, running back Jordan Scarlett concluded the draft for UF when he was chosen by the Carolina Panthers.

Nine former Gators not named Jawaan Taylor or Jachai Polite -- the two selected on the second day of the draft -- will have somewhere to report when minicamp starts. Three of them were selected on the final day of the draft, plus two undrafted free agents and four players that earned tryouts with NFL teams. Here is how each one may fare at the next level:

S Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, New Orleans Saints

The Saints need secondary help, especially at the nickel cornerback spot, and that is likely where Gardner-Johnson will play in New Orleans. He had the highest pass coverage grade of any SEC defensive back in this draft when lined up in the slot at 86.9, allowing an impressive 45.4 passer rating when the ball was thrown his way. In all likelihood, he will start or at least play a large number of snaps on Sundays in 2019.

LB Vosean Joseph, Buffalo Bills

According to Pro Football Reference, the Bills had the No. 1 rated pass defense in the NFL in 2018. This pick is a good fit for both parties, as the worst part of Joseph’s game is pass coverage, and he probably won’t be asked to do that often. His strengths are rushing the passer and stopping the run -- he was tied for third on the team last year with nine tackles-for-loss. Buffalo was just above average in sacking the quarterback in 2018 with 36 sacks on the year, the 13th most. It was average against the rush, ranking 16th.

RB Jordan Scarlett, Carolina Panthers

Scarlett is perhaps the biggest wild card of any of the late-round and undrafted Florida signings. He could develop into a major contributor for the Panthers, or he could barely see the field. Carolina is a run-heavy team, and the main ball carrier often ends up being quarterback Cam Newton. But Scarlett’s violent run style and willingness to fight for extra yards can make him a serviceable backup to starter Christian McCaffrey and make him a more viable option than McCaffrey in short-yardage situations.

DT Khairi Clark, Jacksonville Jaguars

The four-star prospect in 2014 never became a difference maker in the Florida defense during his time in Gainesville, but did help contribute to last year's defensive line depth. He had 14 tackles and one sack in his final year at UF. Clark may have a tough time making Jacksonville’s final 53-man roster, however, as the Jaguars already have solid defensive line depth.

OL Fred Johnson, Pittsburgh Steelers

Johnson may have gone undrafted, but he is a solid lineman. He showed versatility in his collegiate career, moving from right tackle to right guard and becoming an anchor on one of the SEC’s best offensive lines in 2018. Pittsburgh’s offensive line has been one of the more consistent groups in the league, but it’s enduring change, age and injury. Right guard David DeCastro, 29, suffered a fractured hand in 2018. Long-time starting right tackle and former Gator Marcus Gilbert is now an Arizona Cardinal, so the recent changes to the Steelers’ typically consistent group upfront could open up a roster spot for Johnson.

The tryout guys

DE CeCe Jefferson (Seattle Seahawks), OL Martez Ivey (Seattle Seahawks), OL Tyler Jordan (Atlanta Falcons) and ATH RJ Raymond (Tennessee Titans) received tryouts. For all four, the chances of making their respective rosters are slim. Ivey, Jefferson and Jordan have a better chance of making a squad than Raymond. Raymond is listed as an athlete, but his primary position is fullback, a position which many teams do not even use in today’s NFL.

Follow Graham Marsh on Twitter @GrahamMarshUF. Contact him at gmarsh@alligator.org.