Jachai Polite
Jachai Polite

While they may have slipped out of the first round, two UF football players didn’t have to wait too long to hear their name called on Friday.

UF offensive lineman Jawaan Taylor and edge rusher Jachai Polite were both picked on the second day of the NFL Draft. Taylor was selected with the 35th pick in the second round by the Jacksonville Jaguars and Polite was selected with the 68th pick in the third round by the New York Jets.

Both Taylor and Polite saw themselves fall in the draft. Taylor reportedly had health concerns heading into the draft, but Jacksonville’s general manager, David Caldwell, dismissed those reports after selecting him.

“I don’t know where that came from,” Caldwell said in a release. “His medical grade was passable, so there’s nothing he had currently.”

Polite, however, was plagued by a relatively poor combine and concerns that he gained weight over the offseason.

The Jaguars addressed a big hole at offensive line by picking Taylor. According to Football Outsiders, Jacksonville had the 21st ranked offensive line in the NFL, and Taylor will likely find himself in a starting role sooner or later.

Unlike the Jaguars, the Jets didn’t draft for a position of need: the Jets had the 13th best defensive line in the NFL and were tied for 16th in sacks with 39. Despite New York’s success on the defensive line, Polite is sure to be an asset, as he led the FBS in forced fumbles last year (6) and was third in the SEC for tackles for loss (17.5).

Contact River Wells at rwells@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @riverhwells.