The BYU players set up a play with match point as the rowdy crowd’s rhythmic chant urged them on at the Smith Fieldhouse.
ORLANDO, Fla. — Sophomore outside hitter Paige Hammons stood at the ready on match point Friday night. She waited on a serve from Florida Gulf Coast’s side of the court.
Sophomore Paige Hammons stood on the black and gold logo that brandished regional host UCF’s letters, awaiting the serve from Florida State’s Madison Sullivan.
A soft applause and some smiles came from Ben Hill Griffin Stadium as the Florida Gators volleyball squad found out they would be playing arch-rival Florida State for the first round of the 2018 NCAA Tournament during the selection show Sunday night.
More Volleyball Stories
- Looking back: Florida’s regular-season highlights
- Gators complete regular season, sweep Gamecocks
- Gators swept at Tennessee
- UF sweeps Georgia behind strong offensive showing
- Florida sweeps LSU in Friday night matchup
- UF prepares for final SEC matches at end of season
- Florida’s 3 stars from Sunday’s win at Auburn
- Gators take on Auburn Tigers Sunday afternoon on the road
- One for the team: Holly Carlton’s journey from the backyard to front row
- Gators rally past Arkansas for program’s 1,000th win
- Gators swept by No. 12 Kentucky in SEC matchup
- Gators volleyball prepares for rival matchup in Kentucky
- Gators sweep Mississippi State on the road
- Gators snap 14-match win streak, lose in five sets to Mizzou
- Carlton, UF win 13th straight match with sweep of Alabama
- Gators survive another five-set match
- Gators begin weekend with clash against South Carolina
- Gators remain undefeated in SEC play after second five-set weekend thriller
- Gators escape upset against Texas A&M
- Hall, Gators take undefeated conference record into Friday matchup