Will “Sweet Victory” be played at the Super Bowl? It definitely should

You all know the words and phrases to this all-time classic.

“The winner takes all. It’s the thrill of one more kill. The last one to fall will never sacrifice their will.”

Those words come from the song “Sweet Victory,” most famously known from that episode of “Spongebob Squarepants.”

You know the one. The one where Squidward is putting together a band from the underwater world that is Bikini Bottom to play at a “real-life” football game’s halftime show.

I can still imagine Patrick with his narrow glasses playing drums, or Mrs. Puff shredding it on the electric guitar.

I say “real life” because, obviously, it was just a show. They just had some background footage of fans at a game that left us asking, what if? What if these goofy characters from under the sea can play like this at an actual football game?

Well, now it can become a reality.

“Don’t ever look back on the winds closing in. Be on the attack with your wings on the wind. Oh, the games will begin.”

Fans are petitioning for this song to be played at the Super Bowl halftime show to commemorate the late Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of the show.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Why shouldn’t it be played? If your fans are demanding it, why wouldn’t you blast it on the speakers, fully equipped with a performance that captures the sheer epicness of that episode all those years ago?

No one else really wanted to play for the Super Bowl halftime show anyway. Reports indicated that Rihanna and Pink both declined the invitation, and Maroon 5 eventually agreed to perform.

People were even trying to get the band to withdraw from the show in solidarity to the NFL’s treatment of former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and his kneeling during the national anthem.

But Maroon 5 isn’t going anywhere. In its promotional video for the performance, Spongebob makes a noticeable appearance. It was also announced that Squidward’s voice actor, Rodger Bumpass, will introduce the halftime entertainment.

It’s teasing us hard.

So please, NFL and Maroon 5, after all this speculation, please reward us with what many will regard as one of the greatest moments in Super Bowl halftime show history. I don’t care if Maroon 5 plays the song in tribute or if the song is just played in its original form.

Better yet, let Maroon 5 start playing its setlist. Midway through a song, interrupt the band and raise a giant dome through center field. Make holographic versions of all the Spongebob characters and let them jam out to the song as the crowd shines their phone flashlights.

Let us have this, NFL. Let me have this.

“And it’s sweet, sweet, sweet victory, yeah! And it’s ours for the taking, it’s ours for the fight. Sweet, sweet, sweet victory, yeah! And the one who’s last to fall, the winner takes all.”

Jake Dreilinger is the sports editor of the Alligator. Follow him on Twitter @DreilingerJake and email him at jdreilinger@alligator.org.