<p>Sophomore Marco Wilson led the Gators with 10 pass breakups last season. </p>

Sophomore Marco Wilson led the Gators with 10 pass breakups last season. 

Marco Wilson has escaped the pressure of rising expectations. No matter what the headlines read as he and fellow Florida cornerback C.J. Henderson continue to garner offseason attention, Wilson’s plans are much greater.

“I want to be the best," Wilson said. "I want to be known as the best. And when I get to the next level, I want to be the best there too.”

Last September, Wilson became the fourth freshman in UF history to start at cornerback on opening day. He recorded three solo tackles in his collegiate debut against Michigan. After starting all eleven games, Wilson contributed 34 total tackles and a team-high 10 pass breakups in 2017.

Wilson wasn’t alone in his stand-out freshman year. Henderson, despite only starting in five games, contributed significantly to the Gators’ defense. His 22 total tackles and four interceptions — two of which he returned for touchdowns — earned him a spot on the Coaches’ All-SEC Freshman Team along with Wilson.

Still, neither player was completely satisfied with their freshman campaign.

“All of us got something to prove,” Henderson said. “Every game. Every week.”

One of the sources of Wilson’s dissatisfaction with his first season was his size. At this point in the offseason, he has added 10 pounds and now weighs almost 190 pounds. He expects the added weight to help defend stronger, more aggressive receivers come August.

Wilson said he has also grown mentally in an effort to develop his overall game.

“I feel smarter,” Wilson said. “As you get older, you start focusing on other things and I know that playing this game is now always about being physical.”

In just the 12 spring practices before Saturday’s Orange and Blue Game, both Wilson and Henderson have assumed leadership roles among the defensive core. They see themselves as responsible for teaching the younger players, such as freshman Trey Dean, who played in the 2017 Under Armour All-American Game.

After last season’s disappointing 4-7 finish, Wilson claims the entire defense is hungry to reverse the image of Florida football.

“We’re real motivated,” Wilson said. “There’s a lot of bad talk on our name and we’re just not going to accept that this year.”

Even if Wilson and Henderson play at a high enough level to help  return Florida to dominance in the SEC East, it’s unlikely either of players’ competitive thirsts will be quenched. Both approach the game with a mindset geared to always do more, especially Wilson.

“Even if I go out this season and get 10 picks, I still won’t be satisfied,” Wilson said. “I still need more. I need to get 11, I need to get 12, I need to get more.”

Follow Benjamin Brandt on Twitter @bhb1227 and contact him at bbrandt@alligator.org.