Gainesville will welcome a New York Times bestselling author to town Sunday when Amy Stewart speaks at the Alachua County Library District.

Stewart will visit as part of the library’s 2016 Author Series, and she will promote her new book, “Girl Waits with Gun,” with a signing and Q&A session.

The new book is “based on a true story about three sisters who fought back against injustice in a way that few women of 1914 would have dared,” Stewart said. “It’s the first in a series, all based on their actual life story.”

For the library event, she will tell the story of how she discovered these women, as well as show photographs and documents from their lives. Stewart said she may even give some hints about what fans can expect in the upcoming books.

Stewart will be pulling double-duty in Gainesville this week- end, as she will also speak at the Florida Museum of Natural History on Saturday to discuss another one of her books, “Wicked Plants,” which she said is about “the dark side of the plant kingdom.”

“It’ll be tales of drama and intrigue from the plant kingdom – which weed killed Abraham Lincoln’s mother, what seed makes the perfect murder weapon and what plant has killed 90 million people,” she said of her talk at the museum.

Nickie Kortus, the marketing and public relations manager for the Alachua County Library District, said Stewart is the eighth author to come speak in Gainesville this year as part of the 2016 Author Series.

The library began the series in 2015 with five bestselling authors.

Stewart was invited to speak at the library because of her strong record, with four New York Times bestsellers and appearances on NPR’s Morning Edition and Fresh Air.

Her most recent work, “Girl Waits with Gun,” has generated some of her biggest buzz yet.

“It’s been touted for its strong female character, much like ‘Girl on a Train,’ and it’s been named a New York Times Editor’s Choice and one of the People’s Best Books of the Fall,” Kortus said.

The Alachua County Library District frequently has strong turnouts on these events, and it expects this weekend to follow that trend. Stewart will be at the library, located at 401 E. University Ave., from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m., and Books-A-Million will sell copies of “Girl Waits with Gun” for signing.