<div id=":fo" class="ii gt"><div id=":fn" class="a3s aXjCH"><div dir="ltr">John Allan Miller graduated from UF in 2008 and currently writes and performs music in Nashville, TN.</div></div></div>
John Allan Miller graduated from UF in 2008 and currently writes and performs music in Nashville, TN.

Country roads, take me home: UF alum and country singer-songwriter John Allan Miller will play at High Dive Thursday as part of his “Bad Day to Be a Beer” tour.

Miller, who graduated from UF in 2008, currently resides in Nashville, TN. Having left a career in sales over five years ago, the Tampa native headed to Music City to pursue a career in music, where he became a songwriter for rising country artists.

Now, Miller is putting out music of his own. In 2019, Miller released his debut single “Look You Up,” and in November released his recent single “Bad Day to Be a Beer.”

“My main focus early on here in Nashville was on the writing side of things,” Miller said. “I got to write with a lot of cool artists. These days, I'm still doing that, but I've got some cool opportunities that allowed me to, you know, really kick start my career.”

The “Bad Day to Be a Beer” tour will kick off Wednesday in Miller’s hometown at The Attic at Rock Brothers Brewing in Tampa. Miller said that he will be playing shows all over the country, with many dates on the East Coast. 

Miller said pursuing his music career hasn’t always been easy. From churning out multiple songs a day to acting in lawn mower commercials, Miller said that his time in Nashville has been a grind.

“It’s like you’re fighting really hard to do what you love for a living,” Miller said. “But I fully believe that great things are coming.”

The doors to the show Thursday open at 8 p.m. Miller will be accompanied by special guests Corben Champoux, Mark Gaignard and Hannah May Allison. Tickets for college students are $5 with a student ID while regular tickets are $12 in advance on High Dive’s website.

Champoux, a 21-year-old UF graduate student studying international business, is also a singer-songwriter and said she is excited to play her first Gainesville show with Miller.

“We have similar aspirations, and we both have a similar passion for music,” Champoux said. “It’s really nice to be able to communicate with somebody older than you who’s gone through experiences that you might want to go through some day.”

John Allan Miller’s singles are streaming on Spotify now.

Contact Marlena Carrillo at mcarrillo@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @marcar313.