Nearly seven years ago, the world was introduced to Dexter Morgan, a blood splatter analyst with a Dark Passenger alter ego set on ridding the world of killers, one cheek slice at a time.

We have rooted for this character from the very first episode. He was empty on the inside, soulless and inherently evil, yet we rooted for him because he followed Harry’s code.

In the eighth and final season, we have learned how that code was developed.

Although the code had been most associated with Dexter’s father, Dr. Evelyn Vogel was revealed as the true master behind the rules that helped forge Dexter’s moral compass.

Dexter admitted to seeing Dr. Vogel as a spiritual mother. This relationship was best depicted in Episode Eight, “Are We There Yet?” when Dr. Vogel cooked a dinner for Dexter, his spiritual wife Hannah McKay and their spiritual son Zach Hamilton.

Fittingly, the only person missing from the dinner table was Dexter’s spiritual evil twin brother Daniel Vogel aka Oliver Saxon aka the Brain Surgeon, who was too busy planning the murders of his mother and Dexter’s protégé to attend.

Dexter is hell-bent on avenging their deaths by killing Daniel Vogel and running away to Argentina with his son and Hannah McKay. But will he be able to do both before the feds discover he has been aiding and abetting his fugitive girlfriend?

Molly Kubik, a 21-year-old UF accounting senior, believes the show will have an open ending that allows viewers to decide what actually happened.

“I don’t think the end will show a definite ending like him making it to Argentina,” she said. “Although, I’d like to see Dexter get away with his son and find a new life without killing.”

Some fan theorists have pointed out the connection between Dexter’s biological mother and the impending hurricane, both named Laura. Others have claimed Quinn will kill Daniel after Debra dies. Evidence for both theories can be found by looking back at the things “Dexter” has taught us over the years.

“Dexter” has shown that the worst people in the world have some good, that the most holy people have some evil, that everyone has secrets and that nothing is more important than family.

Whether Dexter makes it to Argentina or not, we will be rooting for him until the very end this Sunday at 9 p.m.

A version of this story ran on page 10 on 9/19/2013 under the headline "‘Dexter’ enters the Kill Room this Sunday"