Over the past five years, the vampire craze in American media hit its peak and slowly started to back off into the shadows.

Yet the vampire craze appears, like its mythical subjects, to be undead.

The Vampire Diaries” is coming back to life for a fifth season on the CW at 8 p.m.

The show’s premiere picks up a few months after the fourth season finale.

The episode, titled “I Know What You Did Last Summer,” promises new characters, Elena/Damon romance and a desperate plea from the now-human Katherine.

Tori Davis, a 19-year-old telecommunication senior and College Advisory Board member of the Ian Somerhalder Foundation, is excited for the fifth season but will miss the Original family.

Luckily, the characters will star in their own spin-off “The Originals” on the CW at 9 p.m.

“I am eager to see more about the Original family’s backstory and history in New Orleans,” Davis said. “But I’m definitely not looking forward to the plot twist about Klaus and Hayley’s baby.”

The spin-off aired a pilot episode in April, but the episode has been completely reworked for tonight’s series premiere.

The new version focuses on why Elijah, not Klaus, returns to New Orleans – a move that will allow people who have never seen an episode of “The Vampire Diaries” to watch the spin-off without being confused.

But if you’re still skeptical about the immortality of the vampire craze, there is a second new vampire show in the fall lineup. Jonathan Rhys Meyers will star in NBC’s upcoming series “Dracula,” premiering Oct. 25.

“As long as shows like ‘TVD’, ‘The Originals’ and ‘Dracula’ are around, they will keep the vampire trend alive. Each vampire show has its own spin on vampirism, so there is enough diversity to keep them popular,” Davis said.

The end doesn’t seem near for “The Vampire Diaries” or its star, Ian Somerhalder.

In 2010, the actor launched the Ian Somerhalder Foundation, which aims to empower young adults to take a stand on global issues and to become a force for positive change.

If students would like to get involved in the Ian Somerhalder Foundation College Division, Davis advises them to visit http://www.isfoundation.com/college and to follow the organization on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram by searching for ISF College.

A version of this story ran on page 11 on 10/3/2013 under the headline "Television shows about vampires: Ending or immortal?"