<p>On the Cinder released their first full-length LP back in 2016.</p>

On the Cinder released their first full-length LP back in 2016.

On the Cinder is creeping down to Gainesville this weekend.

The Buffalo-based punk trio On the Cinder will play Friday in a mixed-billed show at the Hardback Cafe with Sparrows from Toronto, The Drowned God from Philadelphia, and local Gainesville bands Supertwin and Orbiter. Doors open at 8 p.m. and the show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets cost $6.

On the Cinder combines the vocals of bassist Mike Jacobs and guitarist Jason Wright with the quick tempo set by drummer Tyler Rzemek to create a relentless and aggressive sound.

I spoke with the band about its formation, sound and upcoming album “Lamplighter,” which is set to be released Sept. 17.

Nick Hudson: How did you originally meet and decide to start the band?

Mike Jacobs: Tyler and I had been in another band throughout college and Jason was one of our roommates at a punk house. The three of us started playing music in late 2012, and we played our first show in 2013. Since then, we have been trying to hit the road as much as we can, probably doing about three months of touring a year. Meanwhile, we’ve also been doing DIY in Buffalo and Rochester, New York, to pay back the favor whenever bands are coming through.

NH: How would you describe your musical style and sound?

Jason Wright: I say that we’re fast, heavy punk. Some people call it skate punk or melodic hardcore. I just call it punk rock, though.

NH: Why did you decide to do an East Coast tour?

MJ: We hadn’t been to Florida in a year. We did a tour in January and February this year going to Texas, California and Colorado, so now we’re just trying to hit the coast and do some shows in places we haven’t been in a minute.

NH: Any city you are especially looking forward to visiting?

MJ: Gainesville for sure, because the last time we tried to play Gainesville it was a weird night of the week and we couldn’t get anything together. We really like Boston; that’s one of our homes away from home. We’re playing a house show with a bunch of friends, so that will be a hangover the next day for sure.

Tyler Rzemek: We’re playing some Florida shows with our good friends Dial Drive. They got me all hyped up, so I figure those will be pretty good.

NH: I saw that you are releasing your second album, “Lamplighter,” in September. Are you going to be doing any previews of the songs on the record?

MJ: About half the setlist is going to be off that record. We’re running and gunning with the presales. We’re really excited with the new record. We’re proud of it. I hope everyone else likes it. This is our second full-length record. We’re definitely due, it’s been three years since we’ve put an album out. We’ve just been spending so much time touring and trying to push our last album that Between the Days Records [label company] put out for us. This time we’re doing the record through our own label called Flower House Records, so now it’s all on us.

NH: How is the sound different from your first album?

TR: It’s a pretty similar sound, but I would say it’s a more mature sound. It’s kind of a culmination of what we have been putting out. It’s got more techy aspects to it, little quick turnarounds and stuff. It’s a little bit heavier. There’s definitely a theme to everything.