the looming tower
the looming tower

It was a day that changed America forever, and this show does a great job of coming at it from a new angle.

One of Hulu’s most recent original shows, called “The Looming Tower,” equally places viewers in 1998 and 2004, both before and after Sept. 11, 2001.

“The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11” is a nonfiction book by Lawrence Wright that was released in 2006.

The book, which this series is based on, is a historical novel that looks at the beginning of al-Qaida, the Islamic militant group created by Osama bin Laden. As tensions increase and various terrorist attacks occur, both the novel and the series loom closer to that historic day.

As an interesting turn, the series then features flashes into the near future after the attack. Glimpses of America in 2004 allow us to see an interpretation of government response and the preventative actions they took.

The Hulu series, which premiered in late February, is a 10-part series that uses parts of Wright’s book as well as “The Black Banners: The Inside Story of 9/11 and the War Against al-Qaeda” by Ali Soufan and the 9/11 Commission Report to create its plotline.

One of the most interesting things this series highlights compared with other accounts is the consistent rivalry between the CIA, FBI and the president as to who is in charge of evidence and what action they should take in response to threats and attacks.

Rather than recreating the news or creating their own stories, the show uses actual news clips to keep authenticity and accurately portray the flow of events.

Although the show is seen through the lens of multiple people who played an influential role in what occurred, the story mainly focuses on the professional and private lives of the chief of the FBI's counterterrorism unit, John O'Neill, and rookie Muslim-American agent, Ali Soufan.

As mentioned before, the real Soufan wrote the book “The Black Banners,” and he was an active member of the FBI during the terrorist attacks. In the series, he is portrayed by Tahar Rahim.

Rather than just being a 9/11 documentary, I believe this show does a good job of retelling actual accounts while also telling a story.

Instead of just having a narrator or single voice unraveling the events, “The Looming Tower” depicts a more personal narrative into the lives of the main character. The show has a more humanistic and emotional appeal that I believe works well for reflecting on this story.

Because of how traumatic 9/11 was, we often tend to stick to the government facts and any signs that may have led to this. What “The Looming Tower” does well is show how the attacks and messages from bin Laden and al-Qaida left them just as confused and unsure.

Every step of the way, each governmental faction consults with another to figure out the most effective and safest course of action to take in response to all that occurs.

This show will appeal to anyone who enjoys a historic and realistic drama. It delivers a source of mystery and suspense by leading to an event we all know while revealing new truths and untold stories from interesting perspectives.

Through the use of true footage and the additional fictional storytelling elements, the series takes us back into this period of time and helps us both discover and rediscover interesting moments.

Due to the nature of the plot, there will only be this one 10-episode season, but many fans of the show are hoping that Hulu may work to produce another event-centered series.