Top five greasy breakfasts to cure your Fourth of July hangover

You’ve just rolled out of bed — your hair is a rat’s nest, your eye makeup is all runny, your clothes are inside out. Frankly... you look like death. Perhaps you were partying a little too hard last night? Celebrating our country and our freedom with a little too much of the “drink of the gods?” You feel woozy and in need of nourishment and wonder “What could possibly make this incessant agony disappear?” Well, lucky for you, Gainesville has some of the best breakfast places with greasy, fatty dishes to cure that hangover. Here are the top five best breakfasts in Gainesville to cure your Fourth of July fun.

For all biscuit lovers:

Nothing says “dank” like some biscuits and eggs! A common favorite at the one and only Flying Biscuit Cafe is the “Southern Style Biscuit Benedict,” which is a split biscuit topped with pimento cheese, two over-medium eggs, bacon, hollandaise and basil, served with grits. No savory dish could be more appealing to a victim of the aftermath of a wild night of fraternity hopping than some hot, cheesy eggs with chewy bacon and freshly-baked biscuits! This is a personal favorite of mine as well. I usually order this with a cup of hot chocolate — some of the best in town!

Hot off the griddle!

For anyone with a raging sweet tooth when they wake up with that growling hunger, the “House Made Thick Cut Brioche French Toast” at Daybreak Pleasant Street will put a smile on your washed-out face! Don't worry though, the wait staff is really sweet and wouldn’t dare judge your hickies nor your scent of a brewery.

The environment is warm and friendly — take a down-home kitchen diner and bring it into 2018! “Every waiter I’ve had there has been so accommodating, so helpful, really welcoming,” said recent UF graduate Nicole Cannon. This French toast is made from their freshly-baked brioche which is made at the beginning of every week. “The outside has a really good crust, and the inside is really sweet and airy, but too heavy. It’s the perfect texture,” Cannon said. The chef dusts the perfect amount of powdered sugar on each slice of thick French toast, and along with it comes a sweet strawberry jam and some maple syrup. It truly melts in your mouth.

Did somebody say chicken?

Personally, I believe the best cures for hangovers are ones that consist of sweet carbs and savory protein. There is no better place to find such a combination than the Metro Diner on Southwest 34th Street. Their Fried Chicken and Waffles is huge, filling and gets you a bang for your buck. They come out with this huge plate full of fried chicken breasts and chicken wings, topped with eight waffle pieces that are dusted with powdered sugar. On the side you get you hot sauce, maple syrup and the best topper: strawberry butter. I can’t say I’ve ever left Metro Diner unsatisfied after eating that dish.

Just peachy!

For anyone who loves Peach Valley Cafe as much as I do, I highly recommend the Peach Valley Picker’s Skillet. Think a delicious deep-dish egg breakfast: crispy potatoes mixed with ham, cheddar cheese, red and green peppers, onions and mushrooms topped with two fried eggs and homemade sausage gravy. It has everything you could want: grease, fat and cheese. If you’re looking to have that sweet and savory combo with this egg dish, get Peach Valley’s famous fried apple fritters, fried in dough and topped with cinnamon sugar… and be sure to dip the fritters in their brown sugar-scented strawberry yogurt!

Hottie cakes!

If you’re starving and in the mood for pancakes head to 43rd St Diner on NW 25th St. and get their 2-2-2 breakfast: two fluffy buttermilk pancakes two eggs any style, and two sausage links or bacon strips. I personally love getting chocolate chip pancakes with some whipped topping for extra sweetness! It's a perfect meal for someone looking to be frugal but still eat something delicious. This breakfast will fill you up but not to the point where you feel sick...again.