UF Speech and Hearing Center to host benefit concert

<p>Arrows in Action performs at the High Dive for the first annual Hearoes benefit concert Sept. 30, 2018</p>

Arrows in Action performs at the High Dive for the first annual Hearoes benefit concert Sept. 30, 2018

The High Dive is donating their venue to support a special cause: hosting a benefit show to help Gainesville children get cochlear implants.

The University of Florida National Student Speech Language and Hearing Association is hosting their second annual Hearoes for Hearing benefit concert at the High Dive on Sunday, raising money for the cochlear implant program at the UF Speech and Hearing Center.

The show will run from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m and feature The Stiff Joints, Tanuki Garden Club, Friendly Dads and The Real You. Tickets can be purchased through the High Dive website for $10 or at the venue for $15.

The concert includes a “Kid’s Hour,” starting at 5 p.m., with arts and crafts and for children and their families to participate in, said Hearoes for Hearing philanthropy director Naomi Kelly, a 21-year-old UF communication sciences and disorders senior.

This is the 16th year Hearoes for Hearing has fundraised for the UF Speech and Hearing Center, with this year’s concert being the second time the organization has facilitated the event, Kelly said.

All funds raised will support the events raising awareness for the hard of hearing community, and providing materials for our cochlear implant patients in the UF Health Speech and Hearing clinic, Kelly said.

The cause is personal to many in the Gainesville community impacted by progressive hearing loss.

Gainesville native Ashley Morrison knew something was wrong with her daughter Kaelyn’s hearing when at 15-months-old, she wasn’t able to hear as well as other kids.

Kaelyn began to wear hearing aids, but her hearing remained an issue, Morrison said.

Kaeyln was soon diagnosed with progressive hearing loss and became a candidate for cochlear implants.

“She was able to begin hearing again at 18 months old,” Morrison said. “But not without the help of cochlear implants.”

The Morrisons are not alone in their fight to spread awareness of progressive hearing loss.

Tyler Moscarello, the 19-year-old guitarist and backup vocalist for The Real You, said it was a “no-brainer” to play at this year’s show.

“We really wanted to do our part and give back to the community,” Moscarello said. “We’re just super grateful to be a part of it.”

Pat Lavery, the event and booking manager for the High Dive, said 100% of net ticket proceeds, minus production expenses and state mandated sales tax, will go to the charity.

Lavery said the High Dive believes strongly in helping support those in the local hard of hearing community.

“As a live music venue where high volume is a key component to our business, we believe wholeheartedly in Hearoes For Hearing’s mission in helping those who are hearing impaired,” Lavery said.

Morrison said she is incredibly thankful for individuals, like Kelly, who take the time to put on these events.

“Hearoes for Hearing is something that’s near and dear to us,” Morrison said. “It’s something that has become a part of us.”

Hearos directors and comimittee chairs pose at the first annual Hearos benefit concert.