• December 20, 2014

How many undocumented immigrants live in the United States?

Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:15 am

There are more than 11 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S., according to The Urban Institute, a nonpartisan and social policy research organization trusted by the National Conference of State Legislatures.

As of Tuesday, the U. S. has a population of 313,298,643 in the 50 states and the District of Columbia, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

Undocumented immigrants make up about 3.7 percent of the U.S.’s current population.

These individuals are commonly referred to as “illegal immigrants” and “illegal aliens,” but critics say the terms criminalize immigrants instead of classifying their immigration status.

Any individual who enters the country with the proper immigration documentation, which can include a travel Visa, temporary employee Visa or student Visa, and voluntarily or involuntarily overstays his or her permitted time is undocumented.

Any individual who enters the country without federal inspection or permission and remains living in the country also has an undocumented immigration status.

Undocumented immigrants in the U.S. are not allowed to legally work; obtain a driver’s license or federal identification card; join the military; vote; receive public benefits — including welfare, Medicaid and food stamps; — buy health, life or car insurance; apply for a credit card; open a bank account in most agencies; buy or rent from property managements; buy or rent a car from a dealership; claim sweepstakes and lottery winnings or earn a higher education in most colleges and institutions.

Why are these immigrants undocumented?

How and where do they work?

Where do they live?

Posts in Uncovering Immigration appear on Wednesdays.

2 comments:

• Ricardo posted at 6:22 am on Mon, Apr 9, 2012.

Ricardo Posts: 1

On my personal opinion, the best documentary ever done about undocumented immigration to Europe and USA (in Spanish, French and English). It gives part of the answers to the questions raised on this article, especially why, after several hundred of years today's developed countries taking everything they can from today's undeveloped countries, people risk their lives looking for a better life trying to enjoy those benefits in those countries who took everything. Benefits now exist on those developed countries thanks mainly to what they took from those undeveloped countries. So, we can say, today's immigrants are going to those developed countries demanding to be included on the benefits generated by what was taken from them on the last centuries.
    Voces contra la Globalización: La Estrategia de Simbad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9N0ICP0bd0

• hacimo posted at 7:32 pm on Wed, Apr 4, 2012.

hacimo Posts: 1

The Orwellian term "Undocumented Immigrants" as a euphemism that the amnesty lobby is trying to substitute for the more venerable and standard terms "Illegal Alien" or sometimes "Illegal Immigrant". In my opinion this euphemism represents an underhanded attempt to legitimize acts of blatant criminality. The fact is that it is a violation of international law to enter a country by stealth and subterfuge. Try going to France or England or Mexico without a passport and without passing through the immigration control station and see what happens to you. One cannot get away from this raw fact of life by linguistic subterfuge. The persons who have entered our country illegally do not lack documents and it is simply inaccurate to imply that they are "undocumented". They have passports, birth certificates and identification cards issued by their home countries. The problem is that the documents these people carry do not entitle them to live and work in the America. These people are also not "Immigrants". An "Immigrant" is defined as a person who comes to a foreign country with the goal of living there permanently and starting a new life. We cannot know the ultimate intentions of person who comes to our country illegally and to call them "Immigrants" is prejudicial and insulting to to real legal Immigrants. For example it is doubtless true that there are many illegal aliens who desire only to make a quick buck and have no intention of staying forever. There are also some illegal aliens who have criminal intentions. To call Illegal aliens by a term like "Undocumented Immigrant" is a very sloppy misuse of our language. Such terminology should not be used by those who love our mother tongue.

The Lineup

Contact Blogs Editor Cara Chiaramonte at [email protected].

Monday

• Freshmen Ask, Seniors Answer: The Baby Gators' guide to their first year as a part of the Gator Nation. Submit questions at: bit.ly/1wplkli.
  • For Your Entertainment: Your source for all things entertainment three days a week, from music, film and television reviews to how to survive music festivals.
  • The Professional Gator: Advice on how to make it in the real world as a young professional.

Tuesday

• Gainesvillista: The latest in fashion for men and women, combined with beauty tips for looking your best.
  • When Life Gives You Lemons: Tips to guide you through the ups and downs in the journey of life. 

Wednesday

• Now That's Justice: A unique take on social issues of every kind — from women's rights to racial issues to LGBT affairs.

Thursday

• Swamp of Love: A look at relationships and dating in Gainesville and advice on how to deal.

Friday

• The Chomp: Restaurant reviews, food news and features written by the hungry blogger for the ravenous reader.
  • UFitness: The latest in fitness and wellness trends from tips on how to get through that detox to the newest fitness craze.