• December 22, 2014

PornHub fundraiser campaign pledges money to breast cancer research: Is this legit?

Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:13 am | Updated: 5:42 pm, Sun Jan 13, 2013.

“Hey, we all love boobs!” a statement from PornHub’s website reads.

The Montreal-based free pornography-sharing website hosted a month-long fundraiser for breast cancer research. PornHub donated $0.01 for every 30 videos viewed in the “big-tit” and “small-tit” categories. Every few seconds, the number on the green ticker increases. As of Tuesday night, the view count was almost 75 million. Today is the last day for porn connoisseurs to contribute to the cause.

According to this Huffington Post article, a press release from the website stated, “It doesn’t matter if you’re into itty-bitty-titties, the perfect handful, jumbo fun-bags or low-swinging flapjacks, what matters most is that your kind and selfless gesture will go a long way toward helping our sisters to find a cure.”

PornHub didn’t specify which charity would receive the hefty donation, about $25,000 as of Tuesday. According to an online NBC News article, Susan G. Komen Search for the Cure refused the donation.

You may be asking, “Why would Susan G. Komen refuse PornHub’s contribution? Aren’t they committed to finding a cure?”

It’s not like Susan G. Komen needs PornHub’s paltry donation. According to the NBC article, the charity has raised over $1.4 billion since 2010.

A New York Magazine article titled “Is This the Worst Breast Cancer Month Idea Ever?” contains the full press release from PornHub.

“Because even when women face life-threatening illnesses,” the article stated, “They’re still foremost an animated assemblage of sex toys.”

On one hand, it’s nice that PornHub is using its influence (and endless supply of “jumbo fun-bags”) to raise money for a worthy cause. For many, hunkering down after a long day to watch a quick porno or two is an everyday activity, like making a bed or brewing coffee — so the time may as well go toward something useful.

On the other hand, the figure PornHub is proposing to donate is not much in the context of money raised for breast cancer research.

In addition, some women, as represented by the New York Magazine article, may feel the fundraiser marginalizes an illness that plagues women’s lives.

What do you think?

1 comment:

• Scott_Sommers posted at 1:49 pm on Wed, Nov 7, 2012.

Scott_Sommers Posts: 43

"They’re still foremost an animated assemblage of sex toys.”

A small percentage of women don't amount to much more than that.

The Lineup

Contact Blogs Editor Cara Chiaramonte at [email protected].

Monday

• Freshmen Ask, Seniors Answer: The Baby Gators' guide to their first year as a part of the Gator Nation. Submit questions at: bit.ly/1wplkli.
  • For Your Entertainment: Your source for all things entertainment three days a week, from music, film and television reviews to how to survive music festivals.
  • The Professional Gator: Advice on how to make it in the real world as a young professional.

Tuesday

• Gainesvillista: The latest in fashion for men and women, combined with beauty tips for looking your best.
  • When Life Gives You Lemons: Tips to guide you through the ups and downs in the journey of life. 

Wednesday

• Now That's Justice: A unique take on social issues of every kind — from women's rights to racial issues to LGBT affairs.

Thursday

• Swamp of Love: A look at relationships and dating in Gainesville and advice on how to deal.

Friday

• The Chomp: Restaurant reviews, food news and features written by the hungry blogger for the ravenous reader.
  • UFitness: The latest in fitness and wellness trends from tips on how to get through that detox to the newest fitness craze.