• November 26, 2014

‘I’m Antonio’: UF linebacker arrested, released after lounge battery

Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:00 am | Updated: 11:01 am, Tue Jun 18, 2013.

A UF linebacker was arrested Sunday after police said he punched a bouncer over a cover charge.

A group of men was waiting in front of Kava Lounge, 1007 W. University Ave., when 19-year-old Antonio Morrison cut the line.

He walked up to bouncer Omar Alajlani to ask about the entrance fee, according to a Gainesville Police arrest report. The lounge’s Facebook page lists its price range from $0 to $10.

At about 2 a.m., Morrison started arguing with Alajlani and yelling because he didn’t want to pay full price, according to the report.

“Don’t you know who I am? I’m a UF football player,” he said, according to the report. “I’m Antonio!”

When Alajlani told Morrison he must pay full price, Morrison punched him in the head and left, according to the report.

Morrison was arrested at Springs Complex on the UF campus and booked into the Alachua County Jail early Sunday on a charge of simple battery.

He told officers he got into a scuffle with the bouncer, according to the report.

He said he didn’t remember much because he was drunk at the time.

He was later released.

In an official statement, UF football spokesman Steve McClain said Will Muschamp was aware of the situation and was handling it.

Morrison was expected to start at middle linebacker in the 2013 season as a sophomore after being listed as a starter on UF’s first depth chart released by Muschamp following spring practices.

He arrived at Florida in 2012 as a four-star recruit out of Bolingbrook, Ill., and appeared in all 13 games last year — starting three in the regular season.

Morrison finished 2012 with 34 tackles, a sack and a forced fumble — a key play against Florida State that shifted momentum in Florida’s favor during its 37-26 victory Nov. 24.

He is the 14th Gator arrested or cited since Muschamp began his tenure at Florida in January 2011, including former players Janoris Jenkins and Matt Elam and current players Marcus Roberson and Loucheiz Purifoy.

The last Gator football player arrested for battery was A.C. Leonard, who police said physically abused his longtime girlfriend in February 2012, according to Alligator archives.

4 comments:

• Gatorscore posted at 2:35 pm on Wed, Jun 19, 2013.

Gatorscore Posts: 1

Nobody should ride for free just because they received a scholarship and play on a team! Acts like this should be enough for the school to drop them and sent back home. True Sportsmanship and role model? Hardly! Not a very good example for others to follow. If you can't afford to get in, don't go. We love our Gators but don't make us haters![sad]

• Romulan posted at 11:18 pm on Tue, Jun 18, 2013.

Romulan Posts: 482

Dr. Machen says to himself... "See what happens when you have all these bars along University Avenue? It's an invitation to trouble. And what is this I hear? Munchies 420 is turning into yet another bar? Don't these people know about my master plan to do away with all the bars on University Avenue?"

Mrs. Machen smiles and politely interjects, "Yes, honey, they know, but they don't care. Now be a good boy and finish your Chardonnay. Besides, it was a HOOKAH lounge where this happened."

"A 'HOOKAH' lounge? They have prostitutes there?"

"No honey, like bongs - but with hoses. And they smoke tobacco. You must remember... we saw those on I Dream of Jeannie last week."

Dr. Machen cogitates briefly and ponders, "What have I done? I banned tobacco from campus, and now there are tobacco bars where our players are getting in even more trouble?"

{it's not necessarily supposed to make sense. that's sort of the point.}

• wuerffel4prez posted at 4:12 pm on Mon, Jun 17, 2013.

wuerffel4prez Posts: 24

How much was the cover? And is it possible that the bouncer was being discriminatory by not charging cover to other customers? Something doesn't seem right here. I don't think someone who can get into UF could be that dumb.

• MummysCurse posted at 9:20 am on Mon, Jun 17, 2013.

MummysCurse Posts: 195

This is a complete outrage. I'm sick of this nonsense.

When will justice be done? When will the madness end?

When will the city of Gainesville do the right thing, and make sure every bouncer and doorman in this town knows Antonio, and admits him to their premises free of charge? He is a UF football player.

• Kristan Wiggins – @KristanWiggins

• Colleen Wright – @Colleen_Wright

• Bakr Saliq – @BakrSaliq

• Alexia Fernandez – @alexiafrdz

• Alyssa Fisher – @AlyssaLFisher

• Beatrice Dupuy – @Beatrice_Dupuy

• Rachel Crosby – @rachelacrosby

• Emily Cardinali – @emilycardinali

• Ellen Villafuerte – @emvillafuerte

• Cara Chiaramonte – @caraxrose