Megabus.com, an express bus travel company, recently announced tickets are available for holiday season travel with prices as low as $1 per ticket.

Mike Alvich, vice president of marketing and public relations for megabus.com, said he anticipates a 20 percent increase in travelers this winter.

“Now is when you’ll get the lowest fares,” he said. “The popular dates sell out very quickly.”

The bus line travels from Gainesville to Atlanta and Orlando.

Megabus.com works from a yield management business model, Alvich said, which means it offers a certain number of seats for a low price, and when those sell out, the prices for seats will rise.

“We have low-price seats all the time,” he said. “And as soon as they’re sold out, then the fare automatically goes to the next level.”

Alvich said booking now for future dates is wise.

Ishani Jetty, a 20-year-old UF microbiology student, said she thinks the lowered ticket prices could be a good opportunity for students even though they must book their tickets far in advance of their travel dates.

“I feel like it’s good if you know what you’re doing, and you can commit,” she said. “If there’s conflict, at most you lost a couple of bucks, but I still think it’s a really good deal.”

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 10/22/2013 under the headline "Megabus slashes prices for holiday travel"