Nicholas Slater was sitting in his health class of about 50 students when he noticed something bizarre about his class.

“I’m a guy,” the UF psychology and sociology sophomore said. “I look around, and there’s only four other guys in here.”

But he said he didn’t mind being surrounded by more women in the classroom.

“It’s kind of nice,” he said, with a laugh. “To be honest, I wouldn’t want to go to a university with a lot of guys.”

Slater picked up on a national trend that is growing at UF. National college enrollment is now 57 percent female and 43 percent male.

According to UF spokesman Steve Orlando, six out of 10 new UF students will be women in fall 2010, which is the largest gender gap favoring female students that UF has ever had. UF’s fall 2009 enrollment was 54 percent female and 46 percent male, according to the UF Office of Institutional Planning and Research.

UF is aware of the gap but not doing anything to balance the numbers, Orlando said. But he said the school isn’t discriminating against male applicants.

“Boys wouldn’t be admitted because they’re boys,” he said. “Girls are being admitted because they are doing the things to be admitted and boys aren’t.”

Tags

(2) comments

Biomedic84

If they presented the breakdown of applicant demographics, then this article might matter.

Q: Is the applicant percentage of male vs. female proportionate to the acceptance percentage of male vs. female?

If 70% of applicants were male (30% female) and the above graph were true, there might be something serious to worry about....

Anthony

The gender gap has nothing to do with men being lazier, stupider and less committed than women, as Steve Orlando suggests. The gender gap has resulted from women receiving special advantages within the education system. These advantages were initiated under false claims that the system was unbalanced. Now that the system is truly imbalanced, school administrators want to do nothing about it because the people who control the system think that the balance is acceptable as long as it favors women and harms men. Just like Nicholas Slater, they have looked around and concluded that the situation is nice. Imagine if this article had to do with a disproportionately low percentage of blacks being admitted to the university and a student was quoted at the head of the article as saying, "It’s kind of nice. To be honest, I wouldn’t want to go to a university with a lot of blacks.” The lighthearted tone of the article is, in itself, sexist.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.