Suiting up: Gator Career Closet helps students dress for success

Closet.jpg
Closet.jpg

When UF freshman Eric Budinger left his home in Pennsylvania for Gainesville, his suits and slacks stayed up north.

Now, with the opening of the Gator Career Closet in July, Budinger and other students can borrow professional attire from UF for free.

On Monday, the 18-year-old business administration major borrowed a tan suit and patterned tie for an interview with a business fraternity.

“All of my business clothes needs to be sent down, but having this here is really convenient,” he said. “I would have nothing if this wasn’t here.”

Launched by Student Government and the Dean of Students Office, the Gator Career Closet, located in Peabody Hall, is open on weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., said Heather Ryan, a GCC committee member.

After surveying the campus community, SG realized some students may not have access to professional clothing, which is required for interviews, Ryan said.

“It’s not just for students who feel like they can’t afford a suit or a student who feels they have limited access,” the 20-year-old agricultural education and communication junior said. “It is really for all students to use and take advantage of.”

The closet, which features a dressing room, has male and female sections, both of which offer four racks of professional clothing, shoes and accessories. Faculty, staff and alumni have donated most of the closet’s clothes so far, Ryan said.

After completing a form, students can borrow the clothing they need and return it within varying time frames, Ryan said. Because the closet has entered into a yearlong partnership with La-Z-Laundry, students do not need to wash the borrowed clothes.

Since the closet opened, students have been checking out clothes at all times of the day, said Sabrina Gadala, a 21-year-old student assistant.

“The accessibility of the closet is one of the best facets of it,” the nursing junior said. “You don’t have to go anywhere.”