UF has backed out of plans to take over a medical research facility in Orlando.

In May, officials at the Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute were collaborating with UF officials for the university to take control of the institute’s Orlando location, pending stakeholders’ approval. On Thursday, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes confirmed UF is pulling out of the deal.

“It is unclear how UF can help in a timely manner, given the likely need for legislative approval,” Sikes wrote in an email. “As such, UF is unable to proceed at this time.”

Stakeholders who needed to agree to the deal included Orange County, the city of Orlando and the state of Florida, according to the Orlando Sentinel. In May, Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s office sent a letter to UF asking for the plan’s details including how it would assist UF in becoming a top-10 university.

The California-based institute received more than $360 million in incentives to open in 2006 and promised to create 303 jobs in 10 years, according to the Sentinel.

Recent reports show the institute was 66 jobs short, according to the Sentinel. Sanford Burnham struggled to get research money from the federal government before planning to have UF take control.

Sanford Burnham Vice President of Public Affairs Deborah Robison wrote in an email that UF was its first choice to take over the institute.

“We recently learned that UF has no plans to proceed with the asset transfer at this time. Thus, SBP is now faced with the need to find another viable alternative,” she said.