Students lost access to an app that organizes content on Canvas on Thursday.

Instructure, the company that runs Canvas, stopped Schoolflow’s access to UF students’ online courses, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said. 

“A third-party company had access to UF students’ information without an authorized access,” she said. 

Sikes said companies that work with UF go through a process to evaluate their product before advertising it to students. Gabe Medina, a co-founder and the CEO of Schoolflow, said the app had to be taken down completely at both UF and at the University of Central Florida. The company, which is based in Orlando, launched their app at UCF in September. He said Schoolflow had received approval from UCF and Canvas about securing student information.

Schoolflow was introduced to UF students Feb. 15 through emails. About 500 students downloaded it when it launched, Medina said. He said the company is talking with Canvas and UF to reach an understanding. Sikes said nothing about the app was illegal, but UF wants to be sure the company went through the required procedure. After that, it could come back.

Shawn Alicea, 22, said he would feel comfortable using the app if it was approved. 

“If it was approved by the school, I would feel safe putting my information in,” the UF marketing senior said. 

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.