UF students start organization to give food to homeless population

Two UF students, a lot of sandwiches and one reason to give led to a new organization on campus this year.

This semester, Zack Smith and Brendon Martin started a new club to feed the homeless in Gainesville.

Called “A Reason to Give,” the club started when Smith volunteered with local homeless shelters and saw how overwhelmed they were.

“I just noticed it was very disheveled and most of the volunteers were mandatory,” the 20-year-old said.

The two applied physiology and kinesiology sophomores decided to hand out lunchmeat sandwiches because they’re easy to make and are a food staple that college students can identify with, Smith said.

“It’s a simple idea that could really make a huge difference,” 19-year-old Martin said.

Smith and Martin have faced obstacles looking for food donations, including being turned away from both large corporations that only throw away expired food and small businesses that couldn’t afford to give out extras.

Martin said the organization is still in a recruitment phase with about 60 students ready to get involved.

Erica Eden, a 20-year-old UF food science and human nutrition sophomore, heard about the club through one of her friends who knows Martin.

“I think what they’re doing is a really good idea,” Eden said. “There’s a lot of people in need and the two of them are extremely motivated and determined to make this a reality.”

Smith and Martin said they are interested in partnering with other campus organizations that could send their members to hand out food every week. 

Smith said that the organization is more than just serving food to the homeless. It’s a way to get connected with the community and bridge the divide between locals and college students. 

When they begin serving the sandwiches, volunteers will take turns going downtown and helping out.

“We believe with the help of interested UF students, our presence will make a large impact on the community,” Martin said.

The pair believes that getting their name out and starting fundraisers this semester will allow for success in kick-starting the program during the Fall semester.

They expect to bring in money from restaurant sponsorship nights, tabling around campus and online-donation websites.

Martin said there is definitely a mindset to broaden the club to other campuses such as Florida State University or the University of Central Florida.

“Each city definitely has local groups that are in need,” he said. “It would be great to have our group being the ones to serve them.”

The club’s next meeting is today at 6 p.m. in Florida Gym, Room 107B.

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 3/17/2015 under the headline “UF students start organization to give food to homeless population”]