A university official defended a professor today who was accused by an animal-activist blogger of “animal murder.”

Camille Marino, a Wildwood-based activist who runs the “Negotiation is Over!” website, cited a study in which researchers placed electrodes on the brains of Macaque monkeys. Mingzhou Ding, who teaches biomedical engineering at UF, authored a paper on the subject. A post on Marino’s blog called Ding a “Torture-Murderer” and described his tactics as “sociopathic sadism.”

But according to UF Public Affairs director Janine Sikes, the experiments were not done at UF and the data were public domain.

“Organizations such as this use mischaracterizations and inaccuracies to make an argument, and they falsely alleged things about this individual who just analyzed the data,” Sikes said.

Marino admitted she thought Ding did the experiments himself and that she’s now “willing to defer on this single issue.”

“I’ll take it as a given that he didn’t do the mutilation,” she said. “But that doesn’t mitigate culpability.”

Ding could not be reached for comment.

Tags

(9) comments

ProgressiveScience

Marino and her animal rights extremist friends are notorious for the nastiness of their attacks of scientists, and have a well earned reputation for playing fast and loose with the facts in order to further their hate campaigns.

For example Allyson Bennet has written an excellent account of how animal rights extremists have distorted the truth in their campaign against a Florida based monkey breeder.

Ding is an accomplished and highly respected scientist, students and staff at UF should stand by him against these AR thugs.

ProgressiveScience

It seems that HTML links don't work on this site, which is a pity.

Allyson Bennet's article can be read at http://speakingofresearch.com/2010/10/07/speaking-up-confronting-misrepresentation/

Dingisshit

http://negotiationisover.com/2010/10/12/uf-would-have-defended-nazis-if-it-filled-their-coffers/

NIOLover

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnegotiationisover.com%2F2010%2F10%2F12%2Fuf-would-have-defended-nazis-if-it-filled-their-coffers%2F&h=1f2f5

ProgressiveScience

See what I mean[wink]

Dingisshit

Progressive Science -- can't you afford a real name?

No, I'm afraid I don't see what you mean? I am assuming that you refer to the link of the article addressing this amateurish and meaningless story. The only inference I am able to draw is that you wholly dismiss the scope of the issues raised as well as the context that deems this Propaganda Piece irrelevant and even sophomoric..

For some odd reason, I was barred from registering here under my own name so a friend just let me use his/her logon info created last night. But I don't use pseudonyms.

So, let's me clear. I am Camille Marino and I will not allow you and your despicable conspirators to treat the subject of animal torture with anything less that forthright honesty and candor, and, my blood-soaked friend, you will learn to respect animals. Sniveling parastic abusers...I find the lot of you entertaining, especially the hapless fearful degenerate Jentsch, who's become an accomplished clown in recent months . While I anticipate his next career move is in some circus freak show -- you will learn that integrity is indicative of character, I will accept nothing less form anyone who wants to challenge me.

You will not restrain my body, you cannot restrain my mind, and, as Paul Brown believes I'm a loon.... well, that must suck for you!

"Nastiness and attacks on scientists [i.e., paid mercenaries, pseudo-scientific frauds, and career sadists].... and how would you prefer I address you? As decent human beings worthy of a modicum of civility. You've all forfeited your rights to all but derision, hatred, contempt.... and, yes, the retribution I foresee from the angry masses when you are exposed.

And as for the rest:

Allyson Bennet's diatribe was laughable. Sure, compare a patient getting eyedrops with imprisoned, mutilated, and endlessly tortured victims that you all profit from.

And Ding, well, yeah, he's has a long and distiguished career as a respected scientist -- thanks the the fact that the prestige comes for his complicity with his peers -- well-paid sociopaths and sadists commending one another for their black hearts and empathy-deficient pathology that is nurtured within your society of parasitic degenerates.

In case you haven't noticed, you're all criminals. And, eventually, the angry mobs always catch up with the criminal.

Camille Marino

Alan Martin

Camille, I am an activist too, though for different issues. Today I was at a protest for farm worker rights, and got more than a few angry responses from passers by. No approach will reach everyone, but your angry, no compromise approach turns off even people who are generally receptive to your message. Getting people's attention is necessary to be a successful activist, but it is not sufficient. You try to get people angry at those who mistreat animals, but because of your tactics, they get angry at,or afraid of, you instead. I hope, for both sides, that you see this sooner rather than later.

Dingisshit

Please excuse my use of my friend's account. I still am unable to register.
This is Camille:

Thank you for your comments, Alan. I appreciate your thoughts.

I fully agree with you that many activists are turned off by my strategies while, at the same time, a small group of us have had marked success in having a couple of abusers yield to our somewhat unorthodox, coordinated, and aggressive tactics -- with no popular support and some criticism.

As you stated, no approach will reach everyone, So I don't see the efficacy in concerning myself with people's perceptions.

However, I readily admit that I have no definitive answer nor have I developed a model that will begin to effectively dismantle the animal torture business... YET! Where my approach to the enemy will only get increasingly more disruptive, abrasive, and aggressive, I am simultaneously developing some safe, friendly, sign-waving protests to move toward embracing the moderates as well.

No one has figured out how to do this yet. I think one answer may be that we each have one part of the solution and by organizing ourselves we will find our power.

Pattidove

:http://negotiationisover.com/2010/10/12/uf-would-have-defended-nazis-if-it-filled-their-coffers/

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.