Students rush stage during Lil Yachty, Big Sean concert

<p dir="ltr"><span>Rapper Lil Yachty takes a selfie with a girl in the crowd of about 6,000. He made an impromptu visit to the crowd during the performance on</span> <span>Wednesday</span><span>, exciting fans before he was escorted backstage by security.</span></p><p><span> </span></p>

Rapper Lil Yachty takes a selfie with a girl in the crowd of about 6,000. He made an impromptu visit to the crowd during the performance on Wednesday, exciting fans before he was escorted backstage by security.

About 6,000 people, packed into the O’Connell Center on Wednesday night, were invited to rush the stage by Lil Yachty’s entourage — and then forced back into their seats.

Security and staff struggled to contain the charging students at the start of the Big Sean and Lil Yachty concert, hosted by Student Government Productions and the Black Student Union. Big Sean was paid $130,000 to perform, and Lil Yachty was paid $30,000, according to Alligator archives.

At about 8 p.m., as the night’s first song began, DJ Oreo, who was on the stage with Lil Yachty, encouraged all “real Lil Yachty fans” to come to the front.

Attendees immediately began jumping over barricades and rushed the stage. Eventually, the lights came on and the music was cut while security slowly forced attendees back into their seats as several booed.

About 15 minutes after the commotion, the show began again. Emma Austin, 19, said she would have enjoyed the show more if she could have stayed near the stage after running from her seat.

“They said the show wouldn’t begin again until everybody left the floor,” the UF health science sophomore said. “Even though Lil Yachty asked us to come down. It was disappointing.”

Lil Yachty, wearing a sweatshirt with “mother f-----” printed on the front, continued to encourage the crowd. “I wanna see everybody in this motherf----- put their middle fi ngers up in the air,” he shouted.

During his song “Minnesota,” he ran into the stands, signing autographs and taking selfies for about five minutes before police officers escorted him back to the stage with the arena’s house lights on again.

Big Sean began performing at about 9:15 p.m., about 20 minutes after Lil Yachty left the stage. Big Sean opened with “Moves,” a single off his latest album.

Banee Louis, 18, said she was excited to hear that Big Sean, who she calls her “husband,” was coming to UF. She likes that his songs have meaning, she said.

Although she didn’t think the seats she had for the concert were good, she was still excited to finally see the performer. Louis said she feels a connection to his song “Bigger Than Me,” which is about pressures to make his family and hometown proud.

“I feel like it kind of relates to me, being here at UF,” the UF psychology freshman said.

Camya Robinson, 18, was surprised when she found out Big Sean would be coming to campus.

“You know how some people, they rap and they’re not really talking about anything, they’re just making words rhyme?” the UF wildlife ecology and conservation freshman said. “I feel like Big Sean has a story to tell with his music.”

rellenbogen@alligator.org

@romyellenbogen