Hillel held its first of two Passover Seders on Monday night. About 300 people attended.

Passover, which lasts for eight days, is the celebration of the Jewish people’s deliverance from slavery in Egypt and has been celebrated for thousands of years.

“It really is the creation of the Jewish people,” said Keith Dvorchik, executive director of UF Hillel.

Hillel’s second Seder is tonight at 8:30 p.m.

The Passover Seder is always done in the same order, no matter where it is celebrated. This creates a sense of unity among the Jewish people, Dvorchik said.

But Hillel did do something unique.

Rather than just reading the Passover story, Hillel student leaders acted it out, which made the Passover story more fun for Jewish students, according to Dvorchik.

He said Passover is a time for family to get together, and it can be a difficult time for students who are away from home.

But it can also be a new and positive experience.

Brianna Peters, a UF freshman, said she misses not being at her grandmother’s house with the rest of her family, but she is glad to celebrate the holiday with her friend, who sat across from her at the set table.

“It’s going to be a new experience for me,” she said.

Some students gathered with both their families and their peers, including Matt Bloom, a biology major, who came to Hillel with his brother, mother and grandmother.

“I enjoy my religion, and I’m glad that Hillel has so many Jewish students to celebrate the holiday with,” Bloom said.

Hillel’s second Seder meal will be held at 8:30 tonight.