Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a boy in connection with the May 30 attack on a Five Star Pizza delivery man.

A GPD detective arrested 17-year-old David McClain near his Gainesville home last Thursday, and McClain then told police about the attack, Gainesville Police spokesman Officer Ben Tobias wrote in an email.

McClain told authorities he called a girl in Rhode Island and asked her to order pizzas to an address at Granada Apartments, Tobis wrote.

Nobody answered the door when delivery driver Jacob Case, 23, arrived at about 12:30 a.m., according to Alligator archives.

He then walked back to his car, where McClain appeared with an axe handle and beat Case to the ground, Tobias wrote.

After his arrest, McClain showed police the clothing he wore and the weapon he used during the robbery, Tobias wrote. The bottom of McClain’s shoes matched shoeprints found at the robbery scene.

McClain is currently on probation for a robbery in January 2015, when he joined a group of people and ordered pizzas to a vacant home. They then used pepper spray to rob the driver, Tobias wrote.

Case said Five Star Pizza offered a $3,000 reward to anyone who helped catch the robbery suspect, which he will now use to pay medical bills or rent.

“I guess I’m relieved that he can’t do it to other people,” Case said. “He probably would have done it again.”