Police officers and deputies were justified in their killing of a 16-year-old in March, a grand jury ruled Wednesday.

The jury issued a no true bill in the fatal shooting of Robert Dentmond Jr., of Gainesville, who was killed in front of his apartment building while holding an assault-rifle-style BB gun, according to a statement issued Thursday by Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell.

The jury will reconvene later to further discuss the matter, Darnell said.

“Our prayers go out to everyone that has been touched by this incident,” she said.

At about 10 p.m. on March 20, Dentmond dialed 911 and said he planned on killing himself with an assault rifle, according to Alligator archives.

When sheriff’s deputies and Gainesville Police officers arrived at Majestic Oaks Apartments, located at 5800 SW 20th Ave., they told Dentmond to drop his weapon.

During a standoff, the then-Gainesville High School sophomore ignored commands and began stepping back toward his building. Nine deputies and officers then opened fire, according to archives.

The shooting sparked outrage at a community meeting that the sheriff’s office and GPD hosted that week at a local church.

Some residents called for reform in both departments in regard to race relations and mental health training, according to archives.

In the statement, Darnell said ACSO would work to push suicide-prevention awareness at local schools and implement an Emergency Mental Health Dispatch.

“Addressing mental health issues locally remains a priority,” Darnell said.

@martindvassolo

mvassolo@alligator.org