Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Gator Gears, UF’s student bike rental program, has expanded its availability to all registered students. Last year, the program was exclusively offered to incoming freshmen at Preview.

Having started last Fall, Gator Gears received increased interest as the year went on, said Jacob Adams, the program assistant for UF’s Office of Sustainability.

Some students rely on bicycles to travel through campus.

“I used to walk around campus, which was nice for a week, but then I wanted to start sleeping in and getting places faster,” said Jamison Bene, an 18-year-old UF business management freshman. “So, biking proved to be much more convenient.”

The program offers the same type of bike in six different sizes to allow for a wide range of students, Adams said.

Bike rentals include baskets, rear racks, helmets, U-locks and free maintenance, according to a Gator Gears press release.

The program receives funding from the UF Student Traffic Court, the Office of Sustainability and Transportation and Parking Services to allow it to maintain an affordable price, Adams said.

Rental is available for up to three semesters at a time, he said. The first semester is priced at $40, and each subsequent semester is $30.

Reserved bikes will be available for pick-up during the first week of the Fall semester.

“We’re very happy with the program so far and look forward to Fall 2016, when we will have doubled our fleet size to 200 bikes,” Adams said.