Mackenzie Carter described her son Jaxson’s preschool teacher as an absolute gem.

Although Jaxson may not be at risk of losing Ms. Fern Gold, other students in Alachua County may soon find a new teacher at the front of the classroom.

Jackie Johnson, the director of communications and community initiative on the Alachua County School Board, said the county is experiencing a severe teacher shortage this year.

“This is large for us,” Johnson said. “It’s something that’s happening statewide and nationwide.” There is a record high of about 25 instructor positions open, Johnson said.

“Unlike in previous years, where the needs were in special-needs teachers, even elementary positions are becoming difficult to fulfill,” she said.

Johnson said she believes younger people aren’t entering the education field and recruiters can’t find as many candidates. In hopes of reducing the shortage, Johnson said the school board hired a recruiter whose sole purpose is to find new teachers.

“This is a very aggressive step the district has taken,” she said.

In previous years, a recruiter might see anywhere between 50 to 100 college students interested in the education field, and this year the recruiter only saw 15, Johnson said.  

Stephanie Gunter, however, sees the shortage as an administrative problem. She said she worked at W. A. Metcalfe Elementary School and taught second grade during the 2014-2015 school year. When Alachua County closed four schools, teachers shifted positions.

Gunter transferred to Fort White Elementary in the Columbia County District, where she later felt forced to resign.  

“To be removed from my classroom for no reason and then hear there is a teacher shortage is infuriating,” she said.

Since resigning, Gunter said she’s applied for two instructor positions online. When she returned, neither position was filled.

Gunter said she’s worried about how a constant cycle of substitute teachers may affect students.

“When you are constantly ripping those kids away from the one person they trust, they’re not going to work hard,” she said.

Johnson echoed Gunter’s concerns and said a town with education problems may ultimately lead to a town with economic problems.  

“You cannot have a strong community without strong, successful schools,” she said.