As students dig out their winter wear in celebration of cooler temperatures, UF meteorologist for WRUF Jeff Huffman advised the lower temperatures aren’t here to stay.

Huffman said the cooler-than-normal temperatures are expected to continue through early next week. A reinforcement of the cooler air is expected to settle in tonight, but a gradual warmup is expected later on. He said the weather pattern is on par with average.

“This is the time of year when it starts to get cooler. It’s about 10 degrees below average at night, and about five degrees below average during the day, but that’s nowhere close to the record,” he said.

The temporary drop in temperature has some students excited about fall.

Sarah Probst, a 19-year-old UF microbiology freshman, said fall weather gives her new perspective.

“I think it’s a great change of pace, and it gives the campus a new feel,” she said. “My ideal temperature is 52 degrees. I can wear different clothes and let my hair down.”

But Rebecca Vitkus, a 19-year-old UF English junior, disagreed.

“It’s a bit too cold for me,” she said. “I guess I just have to layer and invest in more scarves.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/25/2013 under the headline "End-of-week cold front won’t stay for long"

(0) comments

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.