Paddling tours to help educate participants about pollution

This weekend, students will be able to paddle through pollution.

For the first time, the Florida Springs Institute will offer guided paddling tours of the Santa Fe River as part of the third annual Give Springs a Break event. The tours are designed to give visitors a better look at how the springs are being affected by pollution.

Scientists and other experts will speak before and after the tour about the problems facing the Florida springs and how people can help.

“Students can see firsthand all of the issues and topics they have learned during the morning lecture series,” said Heather Culp, the institute’s associate director.

The tours will take place Saturday afternoon as part of the three-day event, which is only available to the first 60 students who register by Thursday. The event costs $50 for the weekend and $25 for students who only attend Saturday.

“People don’t realize that we won’t have the luxury of our springs later if we don’t take care of them now,” Emily Taylor, a UF environmental science senior, said.

The 22-year-old said she will attend the event due to her passion for the springs and involvement with the institute as an intern.

Culp said she is excited for students to experience the beauty of the springs.

“We always work harder to protect the things we love, and it’s impossible not to love our springs once you have experienced them,” Culp said.