Scott Sumrow was a National Honor Society member who dreamed of designing and building airplanes. He also suffered from depression. Shortly after his 18th birthday in 2001, Scott took his life.

Since Scott’s passing, more than 250,000 Americans have taken their lives — an average of 32,000 annually, according to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

To reach out to survivors and bring awareness to the community, the foundation is hosting the Out of the Darkness Community Walk at Westside Park on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Registration begins at 8 a.m.

Jacksonville’s fourth Out of the Darkness walk was held on Oct. 24, but Saturday’s event is  Gainesville’s first. Coordinators expect 75 people to attend.

The 5K walk will raise awareness about depression, mental illness and the toll suicide takes on our society, said Kathy Sumrow, Scott’s mother, Out of The Darkness Walk chairwoman and AFSP Florida First Coast Chapter Board chairwoman.

Participants can walk in silence, share memories of loved ones or walk simply to remember, she said.

All proceeds will go to the foundation for research, educational programs, community outreach and survivor support.

“My favorite part has to be the support those who have lost someone to suicide feel and share,” Sumrow said. “There is a special kinship at these events between those who have been brought together under such sad and tragic circumstances.”

Students enrolled in the Psychology of Suicide class are helping coordinate the event.

“Suicide isn’t a subject you can learn from a textbook,” said psychology senior Sarah Mead. “There aren’t really right answers.”

For event information or to volunteer, contact 904-891-4351 or tlsumrow@bellsouth.net.

If you or someone you know is in suicidal crisis or emotional distress, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline by calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255).