Local business offers video resume service for students, grads

It’s the morning of your job interview. Your stomach turns, your feet tap against the floor and perspiration builds on your forehead.

You want to make a lasting impression, but you worry your nerves will ruin it.

A Gainesville businessman thinks he has the answer to this problem.

Stephen Wycoff, the business development manager for Remedy Intelligent Staffing, said video resumes offer students and recent graduates an alternative way to promote and highlight themselves to prospective employers.

“It’s something out of the box but very professional,” Wycoff said. “You will remember him or her more than the five or six dozen resumes you look through.”

Through the video resume service, which Wycoff added to the company last year, job seekers can record up to three 60-second segments to answer interview questions and can re-record responses until they’re happy with their answers.

Employers can access the profile through social media websiites or other programs like TalentRooster, a vendor that works with recruiters and supports the video resume platform.

The hyperlink can also be attached to emails.

Resume profiles contain much of the same information that is included on traditional resumes. Personality profiles and skill assessments can be included as part of the resume as well.

The video gives job seekers the chance to make a lasting impression on prospective employers, Wycoff said.

It also allows those employers to get an idea about who the person they could potentially hire really is.

Wycoff said once a person is hired, he or she pays a percentage of his or her salary to Remedy Intelligent Staffing for its services, based on the position and salary taken.

Mary Medina, assistant director for employer development at the UF Career Resource Center, said the center hasn’t seen many requests from employers but would consider using video resumes if more students wanted to use them.

Bethany Kiewel, 29, who was hired after using the video resume, said she chose it because it gives companies a more visual aspect of the candidate.

Kiewel said she was nervous when filming her answers, but it was helpful to have a professional opinion to let her know if her answers were satisfactory.

“Who you are is hard to portray on paper,” she said. “Video resumes offer the employer an insight into your personality.”