Hold the meat: Tofu now at Chipotle

<p class="p1">Chipotle recently added tofu to its menu for vegan and vegetarian customers. The price for the tofu option is $6.50, the same as ordering chicken in a burrito, taco or bowl.&nbsp;</p>

Chipotle recently added tofu to its menu for vegan and vegetarian customers. The price for the tofu option is $6.50, the same as ordering chicken in a burrito, taco or bowl. 

Chipotle is now offering a vegan- and vegetarian-friendly alternative for customers.

The fast-casual Mexican chain introduced tofu to its menu this week — its first new item since 2005 — and both Gainesville locations started serving it Monday.

Tofu is currently available in a limited number of restaurants, but the chain plans to bring the item to all 1,572 U.S. restaurants by the end of the year. 

The alternative will not only cater to vegans and vegetarians but also to people who are just looking for a meatless meal.

Now customers will be able to make use of the design-your-own burrito, taco and bowl system with the option of tofu, which Chipotle is calling “sofritas.”

Matthew Bajus, store manager of Chipotle on Archer Road, said the restaurant wanted to expand its menu to cater to all customers.

“We care about the environment and wanted to extend that option towards people who don’t eat meat,” Bajus said.

The sofritas are made with organic tofu from Hodo Soy that is mixed with chipotle chilies and spices. The spicy tofu is designed to satisfy a taste for both vegans and carnivores.

The price for the tofu option is $6.50, the same as ordering chicken in a burrito, taco or bowl and less than the $7.45 the restaurant charges for steak, carnitas and barbacoa. Adding Chipotle’s handmade guacamole on the side is always an additional $2, Bajus said.

Despite the corporate company announcing in spring that it was raising prices due to food inflation, Chipotle has not lost the loyalty of its customers because it continues to emphasize its quality ingredients.

UF event management senior Paige Gross, a regular at Chipotle, is also a vegetarian and says she has had her order down for years.

“I love my bowls without meat,”  said Gross, 21. “I always have plenty of other toppings that make it just as filling and satisfying.”