Mi Apa sells pink treats for breast cancer

Two-year-old Sophie James stared from the pink churro to her neon pink pants.

“Ooh, wow,” the toddler said, sticking out a tiny finger to poke the pink glaze.

Mi Apa Latin Cafe, located at 114 SW 34th St., is brightening up customers’ meals this month by selling pink churros in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

All churro proceeds will go to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

The sale, which began Friday, will continue until Oct. 31, said Peter Ynigo, restaurant owner.

For staff of the family-owned café, the churros are bittersweet. Ynigo lost his mother to breast cancer five years ago.

“It just touches home,” he said.

Mi Apa’s churros come in flavors like chocolate and dulce de leche. For October, customers can order them made into a breast cancer ribbon, glazed with pink condensed milk.

Jennifer Derby, Sophie’s mom and a UF alumna, ended a Saturday breakfast with her daughter and husband by splitting a pink churro.

She wore a pink ribbon and a wristband that read, “Imagine life without breast cancer.”

Derby, a breast cancer survivor, was diagnosed in September 2011.

“It sort of turns your world upside down,” the 32-year-old said. “I was already a mom. She was just a year old. It was scary.”

After a busy year of treatment, Derby said the family has become regulars at Mi Apa again.

When a waitress mentioned the churros Saturday morning, Derby knew she would order one.

“One of the things I say all the time is ‘I wish it could end with me,’” Derby said, “I wish I could be the last person.”