Christina Gladney wants change.

“We are in a social war, and I am enraged,” the 28-year-old UF health behavior doctoral student said Thursday night as a crowd gathered to discuss the Black Lives Matter movement and recent events in the black community. “I’m tired of the dialogue.”

About 100 people gathered at the Institute of Black Culture for an event hosted by the UF Black Graduate Student Organization at its monthly meeting. Recent shootings across the country had Gainesville residents demanding answers from a panel.

With shaking hands and tears in her eyes, Gladney described what it was like to be a black woman pulled over by police.

“How insulting it is,” she said, her voice trembling with anger, “to have a white man pull me over, in my blackness, and won’t give me my license until I look in his blue eyes.”

One of the panelists, UF sociology doctoral student Micah E. Johnson, said the thought of the U.S. moving past race is a misunderstanding of the country’s culture.

“Racism is an American tradition,” the 31-year-old said.

When discussing the recent Milwaukee, Wisconsin shooting, Johnson said for there to be racism, there has to be some element of greater control.

UF history professor Ibram Kendi, another panelist, agreed.

“You can’t be racist without power,” she said.

Kendi, a history professor, defined racism as any idea that suggests one group is superior or inferior to another. He said leaders will listen to what people have to say, but they will ultimately pick and choose what it is they want to change.

“People in power always like when the powerless engage in dialogue,” he said.

University Police Chief Linda Stump-Kurnick disagreed.

“I think it’s making a good difference,” she said. “Agree or disagree, we’re not going to come together without dialogue.”

Stump-Kurnick then told a story about when she felt fear when being pulled over. She said she placed her hands on the wheel and told the officer about the gun in her car. The officer recoiled and placed her hand on her weapon.

Raja Rahim, 26, said she was insulted by Stump-Kurnick’s story. Black men have been killed by officers for doing the same thing, she said.

“It’s like a slap in the face to hear the story of what you walked away from,” the UF history doctoral student said.

Gladney said nothing will change until society begins to consider people over policies and programs.

“What’s beautiful to me,” she said, “is when a perpetrator of racism tries to understand his behavior.”

(9) comments

ILikeSTEMStuff

Until crime statistics and their correlation to race can be openly discussed, there will only be a one-sided "conversation".

coldheart

Amen to that.

Facts First

http://theblumpkin.com/black-lives-matter-black-on-black-burger-king-brawl-in-charlotte-north-carolina/

Facts First

food for thought https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/779045478642098176

coldheart

Are we allowed to talk about the effect of single motherhood on the Black community? No? Didn't think so.

ILikeSTEMStuff

“You can’t be racist without power". More redefining of terms from Marxists and their lackeys. $5.00 says Alligator staff will delete this comment, too, because they are so very tolerant of other opinions.

Facts First

Language was invented by humans, it's not a hard tried and true fact like gravity is, therefore it is fluid and is up to the user to define as fact. But because the Marxists want to co-op the term racist, the easiest way to communicate is to specify a term they will have a harder time co-opting, With that I say use the term racial bigotry and racial prejudice. I believe it would be correct to say that the female who is offended at having to look at the blue eyed cop is guilty of racial prejudice.

Facts First

“to have a white man pull me over, in my blackness, and won’t give me my license until I look in his blue eyes.” Seriously? Would it be better if a black cop pulled you over and you looked in his or her brown eyes? The Victimology game is deep in that statement. Just remember while you are on the sidelines being a victim, another black person is in the game building, enterprising and empowering themselves and their family. All the complainers and victims should have the stones to do what this BLM activist did. He did a shoot don't shoot scenario as did a reporter separately. They both failed miserably and changed their tune about police actions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g You can see the fbi stats for yourself at UCR.FBI.Gov Black males are 1/6th of the population but are responsible for 44% of police killings is just an example of what you will find. and for an anecdotal reference, this blm activist was robbed at gunpoint by a black man and then asked for more police presence. http://theblumpkin.com/black-lives-matter-leader-robbed-at-gunpoint-asks-for-more-police/

coldheart

As a white man with brown eyes, have a culturally appropriated his eye color?

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.