Alachua Conservation Trust to host first Halloween ball

A local conservation organization will host its first Halloween ball on Friday.

The Alachua Conservation Trust ball is a chance for attendees to enjoy Swamp Head brews in their best Halloween costumes while supporting the conservation organization, said Ivor Kincaide, land manager for the trust.

The sea monsters-themed event will include live music from folk indie rock band the Wild Shiners and a costume contest with a category for the best sea monster.

The fundraiser will take place at the Prairie Creek Lodge from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets are $40 each, and all proceeds will go to the trust’s mission of conserving critical natural and historical resources. Students receive a 50 percent discount on admission at the door.

Organizers decided to host the Halloween ball because they noticed the number of Halloween celebrations offered in Gainesville wasn’t as high as it usually is, said Chris Burney, project manager for the trust.

The trust was created in 1988 and has since assisted in preserving more than 50,000 acres of land in the North Central Florida area. Forty years ago, there were only 2,000 acres of land set aside for conservation.

A version of this story ran on page 5 on 10/28/2013 under the headline "Alachua Conservation Trust to host first Halloween ball"