Gainesville Police arrested a Gainesville man Saturday after he threw a beer at another man and then stole his car.

Officers arrested Benjamin Franklin Cunningham, 24, on charges of aggravated battery and grand theft auto, according to a GPD arrest report.

He is also serving time for violation of probation charges, according to jail records.

At about 11 p.m., the victim parked his car on the side of Southeast 19th Terrace and left it running, according to the report.

Cunningham began arguing with the man and threw a beer can at the back of his head, according to the report.

The man was knocked unconscious, according to the report.

While he was out, Cunningham got in the man’s car and sped down the block.

Police stopped Cunningham in the car and arrested him, according to the report.

Two witnesses saw Cunningham throw the beer at the man and watched him steal the car.

During questioning with police, Cunningham said, “I’m fine; I’m fine; it’s whatever,” according to the report.

Officers booked Cunningham into the Alachua County Jail at about midnight Sunday, where he remained Monday night with a $20,000 bond.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 10/8/2013 under the headline "Gainesville man throws beer, then steals car"