The Gainesville community gathered Sunday afternoon for the dedication ceremony of a playground at Trinity United Methodist Church that is accessible to children with and without disabilities.

The playground, at 4000 NW 53rd Ave., meets the standards of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, with things like mulch, wheelchair accessible areas and AstroTurf, said Kelly Ping, spokeswoman for Trinity United Methodist Church.

“We don’t want to leave anyone out,” said the Rev. Esther Rodriguez, associate pastor for the church.

The playground is landscaped to be wheelchair-accessible, with engineered mulch that meets ADA standards, and it also has a ramp that allows wheelchairs to move up into the play area.

It also offers equipment such as a gondola where people in wheelchairs travel up a ramp and swing; ground-level features like a spinning ship’s wheel; and instruments around the park like bongo drums.

The upper playground area also has AstroTurf for beginning walkers, so it does not hurt if they fall, Ping said.

The concept for the playground began when Jenn Garrett, a member of the building committee at Trinity United Methodist Church and a parent whose children also go to the church, realized there were no playgrounds in North Central Florida accessible to people of all ability levels. 

“We needed to come up with equipment that would make all children of all abilities feel included, and that’s why the playground is really an inclusive playground in addition to being accessible,” Garrett said.

The playground took about three years to design and build, and it was completely funded by donors, Garrett said. The playground is open to the public during the day.

“It’s just wonderful to have this safe and open place where my kids can go and feel comfortable around other children that may or may not have a disability and be able to play with them,” Garrett said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/9/2015 under the headline “Gainesville’s first playground for children with disabilities unveiled"]

(1) comment

MinnieCarson

I must say Gainesville’s are doing really a great job of opening a playground for kids with and without disabilities. Now a days there are only few peoples who really concern about students with disabilities, but the fact is these kids also dream of having, fun like other kids. But I must appreciate you all for conducting a playground event for such kids. Few days ago i have read in a article about Melville Toddler program , conducted similar playground events for disabled students. They also have mentioned what they have done for disabled students on their website:- http://www.callingallkidsagain.com/ , students had actively participated in this playground events and had lots of fun.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.