Gainesville couple transforms home for Halloween

Every Halloween, Jami and Mark Thomas transform their front yard.

The typical tufts of grass at 2705 NW 50th Place become Kimber Hollow, a fog-filled cemetery filled with pumpkins, potions and skeletons.

It’s a tradition the couple has upheld for the past five years as they hand out pounds of candy to visitors. This year, they estimated they gave out about 41 pounds of candy to about 500 people as part of what they hope is a memorable experience.

"Every little kid that comes up and maybe gets a little spooked, not quite terrified out of their wits but maybe a little bit scared, gets their reward for a bit of bravery," Mark said. "That’s somebody who might very well go away and have a memory that’s going to last them until they’re adults and they do it for other little kids."

It took them two days and about $1,000 to fully furnish the front of their home, including $250 spent specifically on candy and chocolate.

As visitors walked up the driveway, they passed a pumpkin patch filled with both papier-mache and handpainted pumpkins before crossing through a cemetery filled with handmade tombstones and entering the apothecary by the door of the house.

The tradition began as a tribute to Jami’s favorite holiday.

"We’re completely dorks," Mark said.

Debra Carter, 28, heard about the event after searching for Halloween events on Google.

"I love the effects of the fog," Carter said, who was dressed up in a Day of the Dead costume. It’s very mysterious."

Neighbors said they think what the couple does every year is great.

"A lot of dedication and work went into it," said Avo Oymayan, who lives to the left of the cemetery. "We like it. It’s definitely bringing people to the neighborhood."

Next year, the couple hopes to expand their decorations to their backyard.

Mark said he plans on moving the graveyard to the backyard for more lighting options and possibly adding a psychopathic scientist’s laboratory.

"We try to tell a story, but sometimes the story tells itself," he said.