Alachua County Dept. of Health offers flu shots

Flu Shot
Flu Shot

With flu season almost here, the Florida Department of Health in Alachua County is now offering vaccines.

The department began offering flu shots Tuesday and will continue offering them on weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. until supplies run out, according to a county press release.

The shots, which cost $25 each, are available at three locations: the department’s main clinic at 224 SE 24th Street, its southwest clinic at 816 SW 64th Terrace and its Alachua clinic at 15530 NW U.S. Highway 441.

Appointments are required at the southwest clinic and the Alachua clinic, according to the release.

People between the ages of 6 months old and 18 years old who have no insurance — or who have Medicaid or an insurance provider that does not cover the vaccine — may receive the shots for free, according to the release. Residents with Medicare Part B can get their shots for free if they bring in their Medicare B cards and any other supplemental insurance cards.

Private and public schools in the county will provide free flu shots to students this fall, but students must complete consent forms prior to receiving the vaccines, according to the release.

“In addition to getting a flu shot, staying home when ill, practicing proper cough etiquette and washing your hands are effective personal means to protect yourself and the community from a variety of illnesses,” said Paul Myers, a department administrator, in a written statement.