Red Coach adds commuter lot stop, economy and business lines

The cheap seats for statewide bus travel just got cheaper.

Red Coach Bus lines recently introduced a new economy-class bus fleet, which boasts a new stop at the UF commuter lot, free Wi-Fi and a $75 round-trip ticket option from Gainesville to Miami.

Additionally, Red Coach added business-class buses that leave at earlier times during the week and offer trips between Orlando and Miami for $30 each way.

These services will begin Oct. 11.

Frances Alemany, the office manager for Red Coach, said the company has received positive feedback from students.

“We have seen a significant growth of students using the economy class,” she said. “Every week, we have noticed an increase in the number of students taking advantage of this new service.”

Hannah Schulte, a 20-year-old UF linguistics junior who has taken Red Coach buses, said the additional lines sound more convenient.

“I think the new service geared towards students will be much more effective — especially the prices,” she said. “The Red Coach was really expensive when I took it … I would probably take it again now that it’s cheaper and more convenient.”

Tiffanny Samuels, a UF health education and behavior senior, said the drop in price from Gainesville to Miami is most likely a tactic to compete with other bus systems with cheaper prices.

“That’s a significant drop for them, and that might bring in a lot more revenue,” she said. “They’re probably trying to compete with other buses that are cheaper, but not as comfortable.”

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 10/1/2013 under the headline "Red Coach adds commuter lot stop, economy and business lines"