senate_review.png
senate_review.png

Since November, UF’s first Latina Student Body President has donated over $5,000 of her salary to help first-generation students.

“We do this job for the students, never for the perks,” she said.

Access Party won the Spring 2015 election with the highest voter turnout in the last decade: 12,742 students. Access took a majority of Senate seats, a feat last accomplished in 1999, according to Alligator archives.

Joselin Padron-Rasines, who won by 124 votes, said the past year has been a challenge, both as president and in Senate.

“I believe that we’ve definitely been a more visible administration,” she said.

Her administration’s term ends today.

After winning last year’s election, Access began implementing its platform, she said.

During Summer, Student Body Treasurer Nicholas Carre said he amended the budget, getting bipartisan approval between Access and Swamp. Padron-Rasines said her administration faced opposition since taking office.

“Being an independent party in Student Government is hard because there are systematic problems,” she said.

During the first weeks of office, Executive Branch agency chairs were left open for 105 days. Padron-Rasines, the vice president, the treasurer, the Senate president, the Senate pro-tempore and the Budget and Appropriations chair argued over nominations.

In the Fall, Padron-Rasines filed a case to the UF Supreme Court, stating it was unconstitutional for those members to vote twice: once during the nomination process and once during the Senate approval process. The court ruled in her favor.  

Despite the tension in Senate, the three executive members made efforts to improve SG, Padron-Rasines said. 

Student Body Vice President Kevin Doan said the Health Affairs Cabinet hosted the first Mental Health Awareness Week in November to help promote on-campus student services and destigmatize mental illness.

“Student Government is just doing its part to help create that culture of care,” he said.

When it came to advocating for lowering graduate student fees, Padron-Rasines said she made her voice heard during Board of Trustees meetings.

“Graduate students are students. I’m Student Body President. It’s part of my role,” she said.  

UF’s Graduate Assistants United reached an agreement with UF for a $430 raise and a $50 fee relief in January, according to Alligator archives.

SG also successfully advocated for Norman Hall funding.

Matthew Hoeck, director of External Affairs, said SG took students to Tallahassee to advocate for the College of Education’s building. UF secured $14.1 million from the Florida Legislature.

“I think those kind of campaigns were very successful, and I hope that they continue,” Hoeck said.

Carre and the Dean of Students Office worked to create the Gator Career Closet, from which students can borrow professional clothes. 

It is set to open in Summer B, Padron-Rasines said.

SG has also established 63 gender-neutral bathrooms across campus in housing, the Reitz Union and academic buildings.

Padron-Rasines said her administration was able to better serve students by donating their salaries to the Machen Florida Opportunity Scholars Program.

“The students aren’t there to serve your own political desires or your own political ambitions,” she said. “You’re in this position because students elected you to serve them.”

@MelissaGomez004 

mgomez@alligator.org