After five months of searching, UF hopes to announce its 12th president Oct. 15. 

The selection process will begin Monday and end Wednesday. There are currently 15 applicants.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said applications are not closed, but if an applicant wants to be considered, his or her application has to be submitted by Monday. 

“Monday will be the applicant review, and the search committee will narrow the list of applicants,” Sikes said. 

She said after reviewing every application based on the qualifications found under the search criteria, the committee will invite between three and five individuals to campus Tuesday for interviews.

Applicants include UF Provost Joseph Glover and Kamal Dean Parhizgar, professor of management and business ethics at Texas A&M International University. 

After interviews with the search committee, select applicants will be referred to the UF Board of Trustees for interviews.

Split between Tuesday and Wednesday, each finalist will attend an open student community public forum on campus to meet students, staff and the greater UF community, Sikes said. There will also be a separate faculty assembly.

“I’m excited there is a lot of interest in this position and am looking forward to meeting the candidates next week,” Student Body President Cory Yeffet wrote in an email. “I’m hopeful there are distinguished academics who are also great leaders with diverse experiences, and we are able to select an incredibly qualified individual to lead the University of Florida.” 

On Wednesday, the final day of the search, the Board of Trustees will interview the finalists and elect the next UF president.

Then the president-elect will be ratified by the Florida Board of Governors at its next meeting, wrote UF President Search Committee Chairman Steven Scott in an email to the UF community Monday. 

The questions asked at the campus and faculty assemblies will be those developed during the 2012 searches as well as recent public input. 

The schedule is still being formalized and will be posted on the search website later this week, Sikes said. 

“There absolutely will be a student community public forum on Tuesday evening,” she said. “We will want them to participate. We want students to be part of the process. We know choosing the next president affects them as well.”

Sikes said Scott’s email began with extreme optimism. 

“We are pleased with the response nationwide,” she said. “And we are confident that we will have a qualified applicant pool to consider on Monday.”