Getting tested regularly for HIV is responsible, empowering

This year marks the 30-year anniversary of the first reported cases of AIDS in the United States. Fortunately, we have made leaps and bounds in terms of awareness, prevention and treatment for those living with this disease.

Improvement is still needed all across the board, though. Stigmas, discrimination and myths still exist today. I believe that getting tested for HIV should be a routine blood test performed at the same time as all of those other labs that your doctor recommends.

The Centers for Disease Control estimates that 1 in 5 people living with HIV is unaware of his or her infection. Please stop a second, and read that line again. Take it in - pretty worrisome, wouldn't you agree?

It is also estimated by the CDC that about half of all new HIV infections occurs in young people, specifically the 15 to 24 age range.

Most of the people reading this article will fall into this age category. There is no doubt that UF has intelligent students, but just because we are educated, we should know how to prevent HIV/AIDS, right?

Ask yourself - have you ever had unprotected oral, anal or vaginal sex? If yes, you are automatically at risk. HIV symptoms can take a long time to appear. So, if you have been at risk, have you received an HIV test since then?

Many people worry what others may think of them for getting an HIV test or may believe that they are in a steady relationship and should be fine. If you are in a monogamous relationship, bring up the topic and go get tested together - what is the harm in that?

Others may simply not want to know, and it is a mystery floating around in back of their minds every time they have unprotected vaginal, oral and/or anal sex. Please try not to worry what others may think, and consider getting tested now.

Don't make excuses and procrastinate. Knowledge is power.

There are other reasons why people do not know their HIV status. Are finances an issue? You can get tested for free and receive condoms for free. Is time and location an issue? There are multiple off-site locations at varying hours of the day to get tested. Are you afraid of needles? If so, there is an oral test that is simple and just gently sweeps the inside of your cheek, and you are done.

Please visit 313hiv.com for information where you can locate free testing, free condoms and all sorts of valuable information. Additionally, please mark your calendars for Dec. 1, which is World AIDS Day.

Our campus will be having a lot of awareness events, screenings and resources available free to all students, faculty and staff. Bring yourself and your partner to get tested at the same time. Bring your roommates and friends. Recruit a random person you see at Turlington.

Be informed, and get tested. Please spread the message, not HIV. Knowing your HIV status is extremely important and, above all, empowering.

Lori Blanton is a health education and behavior graduate student at UF.