If you aren’t feeling the pain of Summer A tests yet, you’ll feel it soon. If the tests don’t get to you, then maybe the stray bear in Gainesville will. If you’re still standing after that, then look out because we’re tossing our...

Darts & Laurels

It especially hurts to get snagged by the darts.

We’ll start off this week’s salvo with some excellent news from the science front. Researchers at Cambridge have recently identified the molecular trigger for Alzheimer’s disease. This discovery may be a critical stepping stone in the formulation of an effective treatment.

In other science news, NASA granted Systems and Materials Research Corporation $125,000 to develop a 3-D food printer. The first food set to be printed: pizza. Maybe this is the predecessor to the food replicating machine from Star Trek! We give a LAUREL to the scientists of the world for working to solve mankind’s problems, including the lack of 3-D-printed pizza.

Last week Minnesota legalized gay marriage making it the 12th state in the Union to legalize gay marriage. Our favorite Minnesotan, Michele Bachmann, said in a press statement that the move “denies religious liberty to people who believe in traditional marriage and who do not want to be forced to violate their conscience and sincerely held religious beliefs.

“For still embracing bogus, bigoted arguments, we toss Bachmann a rainbow-colored, bedazzled DART.

The Obama administration announced this week that it would be supporting a shield law for journalists who want to protect their confidential sources. This comes in the wake of a bad week between Obama and the media after the Department of Justice seized phone records from the Associated Press. We give a don’t-think-we’ve-let-our-guard-down FLART to the president in hopes that he’ll do more than support us in word when the time comes.

Do you remember Yahoo? The once-Internet-giant seems to have fallen a few paces behind the rest in recent years. This week, Yahoo purchased the widely popular blogging site Tumblr. The site was sold for a whopping sum of $1.1 billion. Who knew that pictures of food, cats and hot people were worth that much?

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer made an encouraging post on her own Tumblr blog earlier this week: “We promise not to screw it up. Tumblr is incredibly special and has a great thing going. We will operate Tumblr independently.” We give a that’s-the-spirit LAUREL to Yahoo for promising to keep Tumblr just the way it is.

Finally, we would like to hand a LAUREL to each and every person who lost a loved one in the recent tornado in Oklahoma. The scale-topping tornado struck suburban Oklahoma and left empty lots where buildings once stood.

Despite our technology and advancements, our Tumblr blogs and printed pizza, nature is still a force to be reckoned with. But so is human compassion. Remember that and spread the summer love, Gators!