• November 27, 2014

We pick Paul: Editorial Board endorses Texas congressman

Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:30 am

On Tuesday, Jan. 31, voters will flock to the polls to distribute Florida's 50 delegates among the four contenders left in the Republican presidential primary. If you plan to vote in the primary, the Editorial Board of the Alligator encourages you to place your vote for Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

Paul is an unconventional candidate who does not fit the standard Republican mold — and that's why we like him. Unlike his 2008 bid for the White House, his campaign has been on the offensive. Rather than going after his competitors over non-issues like extramarital affairs, he has been attacking the other candidates for their inconsistency and lack of commitment to serious ideas.

Paul puts winning the nomination second to the proliferation of his ideas - ideas that would never even have been discussed by the media four years ago. Who would ever think that a top contender for the White House would be talking about ending the Federal Reserve or the war on drugs?

His ideas are why we believe he is an attractive candidate to college students of all political persuasions. Unlike the other Republican candidates, Paul believes in a non-interventionist foreign policy. It was surprising to see him booed the other night in the South Carolina debate when he said we should take a "Golden Rule" approach to our foreign affairs.

It's not anti-American, as other candidates have claimed, to evaluate our foreign policy and its influence on the way people behave in the Middle East. Looking at cause and effect and critical thinking should be appreciated by anyone pursuing a college degree.

Paul is the only candidate for president, including President Barack Obama, who has questioned the effectiveness of the war on drugs. While some have painted Paul as an advocate for drug use, his opposition comes from two main factors. First, he believes the government does not have the right to tell us what we can and cannot put into our own bodies. Second, he believes drug prohibition has perpetuated the spread of drugs and the crime associated with it, similar to the prohibition of the 1920s. It is not "soft on crime" to look at the causes of many criminal actions.

Finally, for college students who have grown up in the post-9/11 era, Paul is the only candidate concerned about the growing infringement of our civil liberties. Even President Obama recently signed the National Defense Authorization Act, a bill that could lead to the indefinite detention of U.S. citizens. He also signed an extension of the Patriot Act.

You may not agree with Ron Paul on many issues, but for college-aged voters in the Florida Republican primary, Paul should be your choice.

21 comments:

• Joe2832 posted at 10:13 pm on Sun, Feb 12, 2012.

Joe2832 Posts: 2

Stephen Colbert would be a much better choice. What is the extent of RP's connection with racists? Check out Anonymous hack and Ron Paul. Do Ron and Rand want to repeal the Civil Rights Act?

• GatorDem posted at 8:47 pm on Mon, Jan 30, 2012.

GatorDem Posts: 31

lol the alligator just looks stupid with editorials like this

• David Hundley posted at 8:05 pm on Sun, Jan 29, 2012.

David Hundley Posts: 1

The media in an enemy of the people. Paul has worldwide supporters. I am so glad Perry got the message, Dr.Ron Paul is more of a better representation of Texas.
    A straight shooter that doesn't waffle on issues but is flexable enough to address the issues of the people. Check this out: http://www.usnews.com/polls/who-will-be-the-gop-nominee/results.html

• Kyle Maistri posted at 4:56 pm on Sun, Jan 29, 2012.

Kyle Maistri Posts: 3

Proud to be an Alligator alum with an editorial like this one and proud to be a UF alum with the comments below. Don't let the mainstream media tell us that the one man who advocates for the American people and not big business can't win the election. There are Paul supporters everywhere!

• Nathan posted at 7:08 pm on Thu, Jan 26, 2012.

Nathan Posts: 1

To say that Floridians will "flock to the polls to distribute Florida's 50 delegates among the four contenders" is inaccurate if Florida is an "all or nothing state." The winning candidate with 35-40% of the vote will receive all available delegates.

• Gr8Dane posted at 12:34 pm on Thu, Jan 26, 2012.

Gr8Dane Posts: 1

Thank you for you honesty and approach at depicting ROn Paul as the true patriot that he is and has been. I only wish the lame stream media had the same courage to report the truth instead of what the puppet masters direct. Ron Paul is electable - if he is not chosen as the Republiican nominee - he WILL get my vote - either as a write in - or Independent. I can no longer stand and choose between the "lesser of two evils" - I WILL vote my conscious and my heart.

We need someone in the WHite House who is not sold out to big business, big pharma and genecidal corporations like Monsanto. We need a Constitutionalist who will return the country to the people and give us back the rights and freedoms stripped by those who have come before. under the guise of "terrorism".

He has the ear and the heart of the American fighting man and woman - if they support him as they support us, then maybe the rest of the nation ought to be listening as well.

Ron Paul has never wavered, never changed and never sold out to special interets or lobbyists - he is, and remains, someone true to the oath of office he took. His word is his bond - to all the rest it is a punchline to the standing joke of how can you tell when a politician is lying.

• poocrap posted at 3:41 am on Thu, Jan 26, 2012.

poocrap Posts: 1

Excellent. Thank you for standing up for common sense and liberty.

• silencio bien posted at 1:28 am on Thu, Jan 26, 2012.

silencio bien Posts: 1

It's just funny how this endorsement mentions Obama's endorsement of the NDAA with a sense of surprise. "...even Obama voted for the NDAA...even Obama hasn't spoken out against the war on drugs" Folks, if that surprises you, you just haven't been paying attention for the past 3 years. Obama doesn't give a damn about the Constitution, or liberty. Just saying whatever will get or keep Obama in power. Oh, by the way, the economy is still in the shitter and Obama's left us an additional $5,000,000,000,000 (T as in TRILLION) tab to pick up on the National Debt. Even divided amongst 310 million Americans, that would amount to over $16,129 per person.

• c4freedom posted at 10:38 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

c4freedom Posts: 1

Well to all the 36% of FL Gingrich supporters, please you tube: "Newt Gingrich: A Crime Against Conservatism". You will find evidence of flip flopping through out his political parade. One hour of Gingrich videos portraying his true self. Do get to know whom you wish to vote. I am Cuban and I'm voting Ron Paul because I'm pro liberty. That's why Cuban Americans aren't living in Cuba. Wake up Florida!

• GuessT posted at 7:21 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

GuessT Posts: 1

Good to finally see rationality in the news. We need as much help as we can get to offset the mainstream boycott and bias against the reality he speaks about our country and what we need.

Dr Paul has the medicine this country desparately needs, and just needs a little more help speading the word before this country is willing to take it. Thanks Alligator!

• Dr Alan Price posted at 6:30 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

Dr Alan Price Posts: 1

It's time to recognize that Ron Paul's growing popularity is a reflection of the inadequacy of the political typology of Left vs. Right. There is at least another important dimension of Up vs. Down. The latter dimension is a representation of the importance of the personal freedom continuum, ranging from freedom (Up) to totalitarian control (Down). The first dimension is reflective of economic freedom. Thus, putting the two together produces four quadrants in which individuals can fall politically. Go to the www. political compass .com

• christiemarie02 posted at 5:07 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

christiemarie02 Posts: 1

Fantastic choice! Proud of those who face facts and can see the positive impact someone like the good doctor would have in the white house. :)

• sanity posted at 3:51 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

sanity Posts: 1

well done and well said. Thank you

• ask1288 posted at 2:48 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

ask1288 Posts: 2

Excellent Choice: I am glad the editorial board was able to separate the wheat from the chaff, and endorse Paul, the only sensible candidiate there. Check out my blog on why Obama lost my vote, and Ron paul gained it: .whyobamalostmyvote.com

• jal posted at 12:02 pm on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

jal Posts: 1

Ode to Ron Paul

T’is such a shame our candidate has not a booming voice,
    A baritone Tex-rep Ron Paul would simplify the choice.

Too bad he doesn’t stand an inch or two above six feet,
    That would clarify our pick, would make him tough to beat.

A cakewalk’s how he’d win it if his hair, like Mitt’s, were cool,
    ‘Cause charisma’s what really counts in whom we pick to rule.

He’s faithful to his family, been married 50 years,
    So unlike Newt, whose baggage swells as this election nears.

Obama promised ‘hope and change’ in many wordy speeches,
    Yet Doctor Ron’s the one we know would practice what he preaches.

If only he’d ease up a bit on foreign policy,
    And send the jets to blow apart some minor country.

But it’s liberty, not war, for which we have a thirst.
    His message gives us promise; it puts the people first.

His sentences are scrambled, an orator Ron is not,
    But true and just, among the pack, he’s really all we’ve got.

• wootthereitis posted at 11:54 am on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

wootthereitis Posts: 14

No way! Travis picked Ron Paul? I didn't see this coming.

• redpill posted at 11:13 am on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

redpill Posts: 1

Good to see more folks starting to realize that it's not about left versus right; it's about YOU versus the STATE.

• RP2012 posted at 11:01 am on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

RP2012 Posts: 1

WOW guys, I am at a loss for words. Its awesome to see, that a traditionally liberal publication see's the writing on the wall, and that is that Dr Paul is literally or only hope. Rock it till the wheels come off.

• Hendog posted at 10:09 am on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

Hendog Posts: 1

I really do hope and pray that you guys in Florida get behind the ONLY man who can bring true change and personal freedoms back to WE THE PEOPLE..there is no other candidate that can bring people together from across the aisl like the good DR. PLEASE SUPPORT this God Fearing Honest man..America NEEDS what the good DR. has to offer..lets stop this madness with the election of War Pigs...this great country of ours is on the brink of disaster. No more Status Quo Florida!! Im pulling for you from Oshkosh Wi. GO RON PAUL IN FLORIDA!!!

• reader11722 posted at 8:01 am on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

reader11722 Posts: 3

Santorum constantly voted against the 2nd Amendment but voted repeatedly to give Penn State pedophile Jerry Sandusky the congressional Angels in Adoption award. Newt loves illegals (amnesty) more than Americans (Newt wants to bring back child labor for US kids). Mitt thinks corporations are people (killing his general election chances). Ron Paul is the only candidate with a plan to end the TSA and end the endless wars for Israel, it all started a decade ago after a false flag attack.
    9/11, US and Israel:
    http://www.amazon.com/America-Deceived-II-Possession-interrogation/dp/1450257437

• pblumel posted at 6:41 am on Wed, Jan 25, 2012.

pblumel Posts: 1

I am impressed. I recall Ron Paul visited UF in 1988, standing room only. Later, Ron Paul said the UF events were among the best of his 1988 campaign. Gainesville was an early adopter and obviously still is. Good show.

Philip Blumel, alumnus
    J school 1989, resource economics 1994
    (or something like that...)