UF libero Taylor Unroe key against high-powered Texas Longhorns

<p><span>Taylor Unroe celebrates after a point in UF’s 3-0 win against College of Charleston on Dec. 1. </span></p>
<div><span><br /></span></div>

Taylor Unroe celebrates after a point in UF’s 3-0 win against College of Charleston on Dec. 1. 

In Texas, they don’t mess with Taylor Unroe.

The Longhorns bring out the best in the Gators’ sophomore libero, and Unroe aims to continue the trend in the Sweet 16 on Friday night at 8 in Austin, Texas.

“It’s helpful to see what teams’ tendencies are when they’re under pressure … when the match is on the line,” Unroe said of her experience with Texas. 

“It’s kind of nice to see how they react to situations like that, what plays they go to when they need a point.”

Unroe recorded 15 digs in a 3-0 (29-27, 25-22, 26-24)  loss to the Longhorns on Aug. 31 at the Nike Big Four Classic in University Park, Pa. 

She tallied 20 digs in Florida’s 3-2 (25-22, 20-25, 25-13, 21-25, 15-12) win against Texas at the same tournament in 2011.

Her 4.38 digs per set against the Longhorns best her 4.04 career average. 

She ranks fifth in the Southeastern Conference with 4.42 digs per set this season.

Unroe’s defense comes against arguably the best attack in the NCAA the last two seasons. 

Texas leads the nation with a .320 hitting percentage this year and finished the 2011 campaign ranked fourth with a .286 clip.

Perhaps the most dangerous Longhorn is outside hitter Haley Eckerman, who was unanimously chosen as the 2012 Big 12 Player of the Year. 

The sophomore leads the league with 4.51 kills and 5.16 points per set.

Eckerman anchors the left side of Texas’ attack along with All-Big 12 outside hitter Bailey Webster, who ranks second in the league with 3.75 kills per set and is third in hitting percentage at .345.

Despite Unroe’s defensive effort, the Gators could not stop the Longhorns’ left-side duo during their previous meeting at the Nike Big Four Classic. 

Eckerman and Webster combined for 29 kills and a .315 hitting percentage in the win.

“They’re still one of the most physical teams we’ve seen this year, especially on the left side,” Wise said. 

“Their left sides are two elite, elite players.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.